IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Gladstones Letter

Options
Please help...I live in Scotland and have been receiving numerous letters regarding a unpaid private parking charge from 2 years ago, I was told to ignore these as the debt collecting agents could not enforce anything. I have received a letter today from Gladstone Solicitors saying they have been instructed by G24 Ltd in relation to the debt, and that the client now has the option to commence proceedings in civil court. I was always led to believe that fines only had to be paid if issued by the local council or police. what should i do? any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    G24 have never taken anyone to court in England let alone Scotland.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

Parking Eye, Smart and a smaller company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (who take hundreds of these cases to court, and nearly always lose), who have also been reported to the regulatory authority.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lk1984 wrote: »
    Please help...I live in Scotland and have been receiving numerous letters regarding a unpaid private parking charge from 2 years ago, I was told to ignore these as the debt collecting agents could not enforce anything. I have received a letter today from Gladstone Solicitors saying they have been instructed by G24 Ltd in relation to the debt, and that the client now has the option to commence proceedings in civil court. I was always led to believe that fines only had to be paid if issued by the local council or police. what should i do? any help would be greatly appreciated

You are right to ignore this in scotland, especially half wit
    debt collectors who are 100% powerless.

The Gladstones letter >>>>> who does it ask you to pay ?

Gladstones act as debt collectors as well as solicitors.

LOOK, in England and Wales, Gladstones are noted to be
    highly incompetent solicitors, the courts keeps zapping them.
    Now they are in the eyes of government for their antics.

Read between the lines ....
    "the client now has the option to commence proceedings in civil court"

Scary stuff (joke) and you know what ? ......
    You have the option to ignore them

No contacting them, and NEVER EVER REVEAL WHO
    THE DRIVER WAS

If Gladstones are stupid enough to go further then
    come back here

All Gladstones are is a a disgrace to their profession who
    have been caught out by government
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 38,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was always led to believe that fines only had to be paid if issued by the local council or police.
    You are right. Except of course courts can issue fines too. Do they actually say they are fines?

what should i do?
    You should read the first post in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread where you will find a section devoted to dealing with parking invoices issued in Scotland.
  • lk1984
    lk1984 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    beamerguy wrote: »
    You are right to ignore this in scotland, especially half wit
    debt collectors who are 100% powerless.

The Gladstones letter >>>>> who does it ask you to pay ?

Gladstones act as debt collectors as well as solicitors.

LOOK, in England and Wales, Gladstones are noted to be
    highly incompetent solicitors, the courts keeps zapping them.
    Now they are in the eyes of government for their antics.

Read between the lines ....
    "the client now has the option to commence proceedings in civil court"

Scary stuff (joke) and you know what ? ......
    You have the option to ignore them

No contacting them, and NEVER EVER REVEAL WHO
    THE DRIVER WAS

If Gladstones are stupid enough to go further then
    come back here

All Gladstones are is a a disgrace to their profession who
    have been caught out by government

The letter asks me to contact Debt Recovery Plus Limited.

what sort of thing will it say if they decide to take it further?
  • lk1984
    lk1984 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    sorry KeithP, its states charges, not fines. Am all very new to this, i did try read through the Newbies section but it wasnt very specific. Taking from this thread, am I best to ignore this new letter?
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    so its not a GLADSTONES letter and its not about any so called "fine" either

its a DRP letter on GLADSTONES headed notepaper

might as well say Donald Trump Tower, as neither Trump nor Gadrags have seen it or issued it

debt collectors cannot take this to the sherriff court, nor will they

IGNORE it

if you ever receive a letter from your sherriffs court , within the standard 5 years , come back

do not come back about debt letters, nobody here is interested in them

I doubt that G24 will issue a court claim using your local sherriff

so yes , IGNORE
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The letter asks me to contact Debt Recovery Plus Limited.

what sort of thing will it say if they decide to take it further?

Redx gave you the answer which is correct

DRP are only pond life idiots and taking the p*ss

Gladstones are runners up
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What did you find vague about this?
    Q - ''I'm in Scotland/NI, so is the advice different?''

A - IF THE EVENT TOOK PLACE IN SCOTLAND OR NI, WE SUGGEST YOU DO (ALWAYS!) COMPLAIN TO STORE MANAGEMENT IF YOUR PCN IS FROM A RETAIL PARK, BUT DO NOT APPEAL, UNLESS YOUR CAR IS A COMPANY/HIRE/LEASED VEHICLE, IN WHICH CASE, APPEAL AS HIRER/LESSEE (SEE * AT THE FOOT OF THIS POST).

IN SCOTLAND/NI, DO NOT BE ALARMED BY ODD POSTS SUGGESTING YOU SHOULD 'NAME THE DRIVER'...FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THIS IS NOT THE MAJORITY VIEW AND SIMPLY ABANDONS THE DRIVER (USUALLY A FAMILY MEMBER) TO THE PARKING SHARKS, WITH A LESS STRONG DEFENCE. CERTAINLY COMPLAIN TO THE RETAILERS, BUT IGNORE THE PARKING FIRM UNLESS YOU GET A CLAIM. IN SCOTLAND THIS IS EXCEEDINGLY RARE, AND DEFENDABLE BY A KEEPER, WHO CURRENTLY HAS A FAR MORE PROTECTED POSITION IN LAW THAN AN ADMITTED DRIVER.

WHEN IGNORING IN SCOTLAND/NI, KEEP ALL LETTERS. DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY, FOR 5 YEARS.
  • lk1984
    Options
    I only asked for a bit of help, some of the replies on this thread are a little rude. Points taken
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport