tip from a gas engineer on frozen condensate pipes

Options
Hi,
I know it's a bit late now but just thought I would share some tips.
All of the condensate pipes I seen frozen where terminated over a grid or gutter. The external air gap causes the freezing and increasing pipe size or insulating the pipe won't do much to prevent this. Trace heating might but it's not something I've tried.
We always try to terminate directly into a waste pipe if possible.
If you can't do this then at least terminate below grid/grate level or fit a drain guard.
Boiler installed downstairs is always preferable. Keeps the condensate pipe run short and easily accessible.
I'm fitting a new boiler at mine shortly. Condensate will be straight out the back at fairly low level then teed into external soil pipe 6 inches away. Best way in my opinion. Soil stacks are warmer inside.

Comments

• Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some tips from a gas plumber.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Debbie_Savard
    Options
    Install a siphon condensate trap so that the water discharges in a rush rather than drip-drip-drip which is what causes the freezing
  • Hermione_Granger
    Options
    Risteard wrote: »
    Some tips from a gas plumber.
    Don't you get tired trying to balance that chip on your shoulder?

Like it or not, the word "engineer" no longer means the same as it used to mean, something that has been pointed out to you many times.

etymological fallacy
    "The assumption that the present-day meaning of a word should be/is similar to the historical meaning. This fallacy ignores the evolution of language and heart of linguistics. This fallacy is usually committed when one finds the historical meaning of a word more palatable or conducive to his or her argument"

Even the body that regulates gas installers refers to them as engineers.
    https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjba17_zP2QIVQbXACh3CDwkqEAAYASAAEgJYPPD_BwE
  • docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    On the above note I’m sure I heard someone calling a bin man an environmental waste technician or something like that.

Weren’t they originally ‘dustmen’ and then it was changed to binmen?
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you can't do this then at least terminate below grid/grate level or fit a drain guard.
    If you do this be aware of the need to leave an air gap to prevent the risk of blockage or back flow from the contents of the drain - which are usually fairly unpleasant.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 3 March 2018 at 5:22PM
    Options
    post moved
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I think us Tanker drivers were "fuel delivery technicians" before I retired from that job. As an aside, our bin men were jogging round in fluorescent shorts on Friday morning! Must have had great footwear to stay upright in those conditions. And freezing knees.
  • lg13mza
    lg13mza Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Even the body that regulates gas installers refers to them as engineers.
    https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjba17_zP2QIVQbXACh3CDwkqEAAYASAAEgJYPPD_BwE[/QUOTE]

Even they are miss-using the term then. Traditionally only those degree qualified and members of professional bodies governed by the engineering council could use the title. Sadly it had been abused for years. In many countries, Germany being one, it is protected by law.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    telemarks wrote: »
    As a PS, I did enjoy the One Show last night. My wife had issued dire warnings not to, so as soon as took out the hacksaw and applied to the pipe, but it was lovely to show her exactly the same hacksaw and trick been used on the One Show.

The one show used a proper gas safe registered engineer and what they didn't show you was how he defrosted the pipe and put it back together again.

Never leave an open condensate pipe in the house. Carbon monoxide can travel down this pipe, there is a water trap within the boiler but the risk is still there. The gas safe register warns about this and only ever advises about how to defrost the external pipe with hot water.
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    Risteard why are you so bitter about this, it must bother you so much, you don!!!8217;t seem to be able to help yourself when someone refers to us a gas engineer. I really don!!!8217;t care what people choose to call us and certainly wouldn!!!8217;t feel the need to correct people because you feel they are calling someone by the wrong title on the internet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure