We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Energy switching hits nine-year high...

Options
MSE_Andrew
MSE_Andrew Posts: 173 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
More than five million customers switched their energy deals last year and over half moved to smaller suppliers, according to the latest data...
Read the full story:
'Energy switching hits nine-year high as consumers flood to smaller suppliers'

OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MSE_Andrew wrote: »
    More than five million customers switched their energy deals last year and over half moved to smaller suppliers, according to the latest data...
    Read the full story:
    'Energy switching hits nine-year high as consumers flood to smaller suppliers'

OfficialStamp.gif
    Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

The unanswered questions are:

1. Does a consumer that switches to separate suppliers count as 2 switches or one?

2. If a consumer switches 4 times in a year, does this count as one switch or 4?

I suspect that I already know the answer.
  • Wilt
    Wilt Posts: 100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1. They have a graph on there which separates out the gas and electricity switches. It looks like they have taken the number of electricity switches and used the for their headline figure assuming (probably correctly) that most people will be switch both to the same supplier, if they have both gas and electricity.

2. 4, surely? Though the numbers who switch more than once a year probably make up no more than a rounding error so I would wager their 'more than five million customers' claim is still correct.
  • superkoopauk
    Options
    Hengus - point 4 of the notes to editors section in the article on the Ofgem website answers your questions which ties in with what Wilt has stated above.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport