PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Hot air heating

Options
Hi, I have read through a few posts on the forum regarding the removal of hot air heating and not quite found the answer I was looking for so hoping someone could help....

We have an offer accepted on a property. The house has combi boiler and radiators throughout which look to be pretty new. The vents and what I can assume is the heating unit for the old hot air heating, in the bedroom, are still intact. Lots of people on the forum are talking about completely removing the whole system and I'm just wondering... Can the vents just be covered up and heating unit removed? Leaving all the ducting intact and not having to get involved with asbestos removal (if needed). We plan on renovating the property but only to the extent of plastering, decorating, new kitchen and bathroom. I guess my question is... Will a gas engineer just be able to remove the heating unit and will there be any potential problems in the future by just covering up the Vents in the walls? Or even just get some decorative vents and replace the old ones.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the system is no longer in use you can get rid of the vents. You only need a gas safe engineer to disconnect the gas supply from the unit then anyone can dismantle and remove it, even DIY.
    Just make sure anyone disposing of it has the correct waste disposal is on the Register of waste carriers, brokers and dealers. Google it.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My experience of these systems is mostly the big electric storage heater type blown air heating. I can say almost without exception, the cupboard these units were in, were lined with asbestos, not plasterboard.

If you are happy to leave it as a cupboard and just paint it, you will be okay, but any surveyor worth his salt will flag the potential asbestos presence.

But chances are this redundant cupboard in the centre of the house will be in the way of making the kitchen bigger for example.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure