Poor Service - Car Dealer

Options
Hi,

Just recently put a deposit on a used Voltswagen over the phone. It was a real good deal and I went for it even though it is a 2 hour drive away. Anyway, in my opinion the customer service is very poor and wanted people's opinion if I am just over reacting and if I should do something e.g. complain. I put the deposit down 5 days ago. The sales rep on the phone was extremely eager for me to purchase it through PCP. He also wanted to sell me loads of other stuff e.g. alloy insurance, GAP insurance etc. I already have the money and a trade in car so didn't need a PCP. He rang me several times before he got the message that I am not interested in PCP or any other deal. Since the dealership is so far away we initially agreed that the whole transaction and trading in of my car could be done on one day. Anyway going back to the day I made the deposit. He was not at his desk so he wrote my card details down and said he would process the payment and ring me back. He never did. So I rang back as it was getting close to closing time. He was busy and a colleague said he may ring me the next day instead. The following day he had not rang and it was getting to the middle of the afternoon. I rang the dealership and it was his day off. I had to ring through to the dealerships accounts department to get confirmation that the deposit went through and that I had reserved the car. I requested the sales man to call me when he was back from his day off. The next day funnily enough no call! So again, I rang in and managed to get hold of him. The phone call lasted 50 seconds and he said "I should be able to squeeze you in Saturday but I will get back to you". I asked if he needed pictures of my trade in car since it was all being done on the day and he said "yeh send them through" (this was during the 60s phone call).

I spent half an hour taking good photos and sending an email through to him. He did not respond to the email nor call me back that day. I called him back today and I said "are we going to arrange the day i can pick it up". He said "I though we agreed Saturday". His words of "I should be able to squeeze you in" are suppose to mean that Saturday is all good and confirmed? I then asked for a time and he said 10am. He was about to say goodbye and I stopped him and asked what documents I needed to bring on the day for the trade in. He then gave me a list of stuff e.g. V5, log book, both keys etc. I feel like I am doing all the ringing around and having to ask questions to get information he should be giving me. This conservation was at lunch today and I said please email me by the end of today with details of the agreed pricing e.g. agreed trade in for my car, agreed value for car etc. Has he done this - no!! This car costs over 22k and you would think having put a £1000 deposit down 5 days ago they should be ringing me confirming all the details not the other way round!

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 28 February 2018 at 8:04PM
    Options
    Call the dealership and say you want to speak to the Dealer Principle about cancelling a purchase and return of money paid.

The salesman is probably miffed because you aren!!!8217;t topping up his bonus payments from PCP and GAP sales.

When you get your money back go and buy a Toyota, Subaru, Lexus or Honda. From my experience they are far more customer focussed, Subaru in particular.
  • Noree
    Noree Posts: 166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Sounds like the salesman could not care less. Agree with the above post.

This salesperson is representing the brand and that would be more than enough to put me off. As mentioned, Toyota and Lexus are better brands.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Noree wrote: »
    Toyota and Lexus are better brands.

Better than a Voltswagen :)
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the purchase experience is like this what type of back up do you expect if things go wrong and need fixed?

WALK AWAY
    NO
    RUN
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    He is desperately trying to hint to you that he doesn't want your business, because he won't get a commission for selling a credit deal. The trouble is, you're not taking the hints.

If I were you, I would be asking for my deposit back and going elsewhere.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Better than a Voltswagen :)
    These bloomin' electric vehicles again.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You wanted the car so much that you left your card details for him to process the deposit payment in your absence?

Not only was that very foolish, but it signalled to the salesman that you were very keen - never a good idea.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Alfrescodave
    Options
    I suspect that the agreed trade in price will be significantly reduced when you arrive after a 2 hour drive. Keep looking -this car isn't for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure