No water supply to my new shower during this very

Hi

My daughter went for a shower this morning and discovered there’s no water coming through the pipes to it. Everywhere else is fine.

We’re in the middle of a really cold spell (currently around minus 4C with windchill taking it down to -11C.

I had the plumber in to look at it and he’s mystified. I suggested that the pipes at that part of the house may be frozen as they’re in an outside wall.

Can anyone suggest what to do in the meantime?
Debt-Free as of 12th September 2017

£[STRIKE]12,000[/STRIKE] > £0

:beer::j

Comments

• Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2018 at 7:50PM
    sile001 wrote: »
    Hi

My daughter went for a shower this morning and discovered there!!!8217;s no water coming through the pipes to it. Everywhere else is fine.

We!!!8217;re in the middle of a really cold spell (currently around minus 4C with windchill taking it down to -11C.

I had the plumber in to look at it and he!!!8217;s mystified. I suggested that the pipes at that part of the house may be frozen as they!!!8217;re in an outside wall.

Can anyone suggest what to do in the meantime?
    What type of shower is it? Electric? Combi boiler? Stored hot water? Pumped?

Have you tried heating the rooms or the internal walls where the pipes are located? I assume they are buried inside the wall.

For the record, windchill is something that only humans and other animate creatures feel. It doesn't effect buildings, walls and pipes etc. If the outside air temperature is minus 4C then the lowest your outside wall will drop to is minus 4C no matter how fast the wind speed.

When there is a wind blowing, you as a human will feel that the temperature is below minus 4C as the wind chills you faster than does still air at the same temperature. However inanimate objects do not 'feel' temperature like humans do. Inanimate objects react to air temperature by cooling down (or heating up) but they will not cool down to below (or rise above) the ambient air temperature.

When it is cold outside, the higher the wind speed the quicker your house wall will cool down, (humans feel that as windchill) but it will never cool to below the outside air temperature. In practice it will probably remain slightly above as it will also be warmed by heat from inside the house.
  • Box28
    Box28 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Does the shower run via a shower pump? If so you may have an air lock.
  • sile001
    sile001 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi

I have a multi point water heater which is situated in the room next to the bathroom. The shower is a mixer-type with one side controlling water flow/temp and the other the flow between either the overhead rain shower or directional shower head.

Maybe there is an air lock as my toilet has been making a weird noise when flushed

• PC1985
    PC1985 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Sounds like an air lock to me (i had a similar issue with my shower when first installed) - basically air in pipe stopping water coming through.

I ended up calling a plumber and he took agggeeeees to fix (for free as he installed it) but looked like an absolute pain
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Is there a burst pipe in your area? Sounds like that could be low pressure.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • sile001
    sile001 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    No burst pipes reported. My shower is working again but not particularly hot.

• Box28
    Then it still could be an airlock. Sometimes some water will come through at low flow. That's providing you do have a pump in the first place.

The other reason has to be issues with the thermostatic valve for your shower itself. Meranwhile you could just remove the shower hose screw on fitting onto the valve just to check that is not bunged up.
  • Box28
    Also, just noting that it's a new shower - if pipes were soldered then there could be crud in them that has lodged at a valve or filter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure