good quality kitchen - what is most important

Options

Comments

• blackshirtuk
    Options
    Things to bear in mind with a new kitchen:-

End panels are very expensive, try to design the kitchen with as few as possible.

Longer cabinets will be cheaper than 2 smaller cabinets

Those clever storage units will add to the price dramatically

Sourcing appliances, sinks and taps yourself will usually save money.

If you need someone to fit it, find someone yourself. If you rely on the sheds they will subcontract anyway. Once you find a fitter ask him his thoughts on designs/cabinets suggested he may well have ideas to save you money.

If you don't like the range of worktops suggested, source one yourself or talk to your fitter who may be able to supply one.

Watch out for the cost of kickboards, expecially if having a white kitchen, as you could use cheap conti boards.

One question i hated when visiting a kitchen retailer was "what is your budget" Then suprise suprise the suggested kitchen would come to just above your budget. I wanted value so would have paid more for a better value, but this seemed to be an alien concept to most kitchen places.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LOTS of storage space. However many cupboards you have (and drawers) you will want more. Most important to me was my lovely pull-out unit I had in a previous home. A tall skinny, floor to ceiling unit with shelves all the way up (sort of sideways on). LOTS of worktop length. LOTS of electrical points.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Interesting stuff so far . I moved into my new flat last summer. When deciding what needs doing , a new bathroom and maybe a new kitchen were top priorities before I moved in.
    Before deciding 100% on that, I did consider for a short time whether to have a wall knocked out from my living room to make that and the kitchen amalgamated . I decided against it and kept the living room and kitchen seperate.

When I decided to get the bathroom done , I got lucky with finding a nice builder. When he was nearing the end of the job, I immediately asked him for help with kitchen . He did a great job . However I am going to use him again next week to get new cupboards and to repair a leak from washing machine which will probably mean new floorboards etc. I was going to keep the cupboards but tbh,seeing as I was doing everything from scratch decided new cabinets would mean 1 less job for years .

Being m s e , I did think of keeping the cupboards I already have ,but with the cupboard under the sink rotting away I think it best to get everything done. Plus I am not too keen on the cupboard doors and colour of cupboards etc.
    My kitchen has no window . Same with bathroom .My options fairly ltd
    So, I Decided on everything very bright. Lime green vinyl flooring ,and white walls :rotfl:
    A good builder imho is essential . It meant for me I got a rundown of where he was getting the appliances etc, the cost ,how long it is going to take approximately and he would dispose of all the old stuff.
    I have seen a few threads from people who buy stuff from the companies advertised on t v etc and people unhappy with the results after payment . If you could find a good builder then that is half the battle won.
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

As a kitchen designer with well over 20 years of experience - the first thing you need to do is look at lots of pictures of Kitchens, create a picture library of the things you like. Houzz is a really good website that can help you with this after you have created a profile. Once you have a fairly good idea of the sort of look you want and the things you want then you need to think of the design process.

You could go to a national company (DIY store or trade supplier) and speak to one of their designers, but you would be limited to what they do and you would not be given the design at the end of the process. So the alternatives are to either design it yourself or employ a proper kitchen designer who will work with you and create the perfect design for you and the space.

Once you have this design from either method then you can go physically looking in various showrooms where you see the styles and qualities of the different Kitchens. Speak to the sales people / store designers see what they advise about the quality of their products. And if you feel happy with what they are saying then ask them to give you a quotation for the design you have. This way you can get quotes from as many suppliers as you like, you may also find they give you keener prices as they haven!!!8217;t had to spend the time designing it in the first place.

Then after you have the supplier you are happy with ask to speak to their fitters before you commit to the supplier!!!8217;s fitting, then you will also have the option of finding your own independent fitters.

Doing it this way may sound a bit long winded but it!!!8217;s actually much quicker and a better than going to 3 or 4 different places for them to do their own design of the space and just keep going through the same process several times.

CK
  • kpwll
    kpwll Posts: 4,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It may sound trivial but we had a new extension/ kitchen last year. The design of the kitchen (U-shaped sort of) meant that my draining board was on the left side instead of the usual right. It does make a difference.
    We also found the 1 & half sink a waste of space and have changed it to a larger sink & drainer.

My tips would be plenty of usable worktop, more sockets than you think you'll ever need ( we had ones with usb charging points in them) and handles that are/will be easy to use for someone with arthritis etc, where grasp is poor.

I hope you have the kitchen of your dreams.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    kpwll wrote: »
    We also found the 1 & half sink a waste of space and have changed it to a larger sink & drainer.

Yes, I've never seen the point of these especially if you have a dishwasher and so don't have washing up bowl.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    kpwll wrote: »
    It may sound trivial but we had a new extension/ kitchen last year. The design of the kitchen (U-shaped sort of) meant that my draining board was on the left side instead of the usual right. It does make a difference.

My tips would be plenty of usable worktop, more sockets than you think you'll ever need ( we had ones with usb charging points in them) and handles that are/will be easy to use for someone with arthritis etc, where grasp is poor.

I hope you have the kitchen of your dreams.

We have a dishwasher but I like the one and a half sink as it means I have somewhere to pop the pan scrubber and brush out of the way when not in use.

Our drainer is on the left (not designed by me) which I think is quite common (my mums is also on the left) which works for me as a lefty :D I'd find it annoying on the right, but perhaps I've adapted because that's all I've known (like using a mouse with my right hand and eating right handed)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• kpwll
    kpwll Posts: 4,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    We have a dishwasher but I like the one and a half sink as it means I have somewhere to pop the pan scrubber and brush out of the way when not in use.

Our drainer is on the left (not designed by me) which I think is quite common (my mums is also on the left) which works for me as a lefty :D I'd find it annoying on the right, but perhaps I've adapted because that's all I've known (like using a mouse with my right hand and eating right handed)

We didn't have a dishwasher installed, I have a hubby with good rubber gloves, ;).

With the drainer it's whatever you're used to, we have found it strange with it reversed but are adapting :)
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Options
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    Yes, I've never seen the point of these especially if you have a dishwasher and so don't have washing up bowl.

When cooking we have a sink of water to wash stuff as we go (pans that dont fit in the dish washer) and if we need to drain the spuds we have the 1/2 sink.

we did go with a pretty huge sink though, so we didn't sacrifice the main sink size (you can fit a standard baking tray flat in the bottom of the main sink)

rangemaster 4015r
  • aliby21
    aliby21 Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The more I look into it the more I find to think about!!! I am a ditherer at the best of times, so i can foresee this taking me a while. CKdesigner that is really useful. I suppose what I am not clear on is how much does a designer or planner depend on the brief you give them, and how much will they come up with suggestions from their expertise. I have a fairly good idea what I think I'd like, but i am conscious that this is very likely coming from the way the kitchen has been laid out. Would a designer come in with a fresh pair of eyes and say 'you'd be better with the cooker there'. for example.

I am debating the sink, halfbowl, drainer issue too! I was told that it is standard to have drainer on the left, assuming people are right handed, as they will hold crockery etc in left hand to wash with dishcloth in right, then put from left hand onto drainer on left IYSWIM . I am not sure this works for me.... Though I think I'd prefer to have sink nearest cooker, rather than drainer whichever side that ends up being.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure