medicines abroad

Options
Hey guy's will be going to Majorca in a couple of months. It will be the first time leaving the country in 18 years so please excuse me if this is a silly question. Am i able to take topical steroid cream for eczema (child), antihistamines both liquid and tablet , paracetamol both liquid and tablet without having any problems, or do i need to buy these from a chemist there?

Comments

• stevenhp1987
    Options
    You should always (where possible) carry medication in hand luggage (in case the hold luggage get's lost).

The best advice is to keep them in the original packaging. If they are prescription, then ensure the label is still on the box.

If the medication is more than 100ml, you will need a copy of the prescription to take it in hand luggage, otherwise it will have to go in the hold: https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/essential-medicines-and-medical-equipment - however, taking it back through customs in hand luggage at the other end might be more tricky!

As you are going to Spain and these are generic medications, there is nothing to be concerned about, just follow the normal rules :)
  • BorisThomson
    Options
    There's no need to pack everything in your hand luggage, you should carry a few days supply in case of loss but everything else in the hold. If you did lose anything pharmacies in Majorca are excellent, you'll be able to get replacements without seeing a doctor and usually at lower cost than at home.
  • kirstyb92
    Options
    Thank you, last question, her prescription creams are over 100ml and i will be putting them in my hand luggage, i know i need a letter from a dr but there is only one brand of sunscreen that doesn't cause her eczema to flare up and want to put that in my hand luggage too, it's not on prescription and is 200ml, do you think i will be able to get a drs note for that or do they only give them for prescriptions?
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    kirstyb92 wrote: »
    Thank you, last question, her prescription creams are over 100ml and i will be putting them in my hand luggage, i know i need a letter from a dr but there is only one brand of sunscreen that doesn't cause her eczema to flare up and want to put that in my hand luggage too, it's not on prescription and is 200ml, do you think i will be able to get a drs note for that or do they only give them for prescriptions?

No idea.

Can you not decant some into a 100ml bottle - put that in hand luggage and the remainder in the hold luggage? Or decant it into multiple 100ml bottles?
  • kirstyb92
    Options
    I didn't think of that lol, thanks.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    I have a similar situation to the OP and have travelled on many occasions across the world some with HBO others with hold luggage. If HBO I usually decanter into 100ml bottles as suggested above. Cream and ointment wise the Pharmacy should be able to give you smaller tubes if you ask when you put in the script. You could always put some spare creams etc in your childs carry on if you need more.

Now if travelling with hold luggage I would put some in my main bag but also essential items in my hand luggage. I always put any prescription tablets in hand luggage as I have been unfortunate in the past that my hold luggage went missing. Any medicine that is injectable will require a letter fro your GP.

Certain countries have restrictions on medications but I have never been questioned going into an EU country.
  • kirstyb92
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. What's HBO?
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry 'hand baggage only' not the US TV channel;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure