Car Insurance Help

Options

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Calm down!

Have you read the response to the advice given? (#19!)
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    petemadsen wrote: »
    What relevance have your comments to this young mans dilemma ? Why don't you offer him advice rather than admonishing him on the irrelevance of the "wants" or "needs" of having to use a vehicle ? I'm sure he really appreciates the fact that, at his age, you used to use public transport, but I don't see any relevance in that, to his needing to use a car, do you ?
    Offer relevant advice, I think your missing the whole ethos of the site when you state comments such as what you have, they were of no help to that young man at all and to be quite truthful, I feel rather embarrassed being a member of the older generation (59) when I read comments such as yours that bare no relevance to the subject matter and in no way help the person seeking advice, so thanks for that !

Eh? What are you on about?
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2018 at 8:44PM
    Options
    What relevance have your comments to this young mans dilemma ? Why don't you offer him advice rather than admonishing him on the irrelevance of the "wants" or "needs" of having to use a vehicle ? I'm sure he really appreciates the fact that, at his age, you used to use public transport, but I don't see any relevance in that, to his needing to use a car, do you ?
    Offer relevant advice, I think your missing the whole ethos of the site when you state comments such as what you have, they were of no help to that young man at all and to be quite truthful, I feel rather embarrassed being a member of the older generation (59) when I read comments such as yours that bare no relevance to the subject matter and in no way help the person seeking advice, so thanks for that !
    There's no need to try and justify your needs or wants to someone in the desire to use a car my friend, that person offered nothing to you in the way of advice, rather he admonished you on the " NEED " to run a vehicle, you were seeking advice, not a lecture on how to conduct your own affairs, take no notice and don't seek approval for what you decide is right for you, if that person can@t offer any constructive advice, he should shut up and read a newspaper instead, my apologies to you young man on behalf of the older generation, good luck with your search and I hope you get a good outcome.

Thank you for your two post rant, random new member who appears to have joined the site to resurrect an old thread and admonish me for daring to challenge someone's assumptions! (You joined today, picked this to and a half month old thread and posted two comments, both in this thread having a moan at me. Looks like I'm not the only one who needs to find better things to do with their time!).

FYI, you are considerably older than me. Don't assume that we are from the same generation because I happen to talk about my youth; it is possible to have gone to university in a previous generation, but still be far away from 60. Perhaps early middle age passed you by.

My comments were pertinent as they challenged the assumption that cars are an essential of life. It was relevant because I was suggesting that the OP may in fact have been better off not looking for insurance at this time given that he did not seem able to find any that was affordable. That you didn't understand that says more about you than it does about me.
  • ShamA29
    ShamA29 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 1 October 2018 at 4:59PM
    Options
    Hi all, hoping you can come to my aid again.

I've come home today only to find more documentation from Direct Line. They've sent me a 'Consent and Indemnity Agreement'. It states they'll potentially pursue me for any costs they incur whilst fighting my case. I really can't afford to pay anything! Above all, they've already got so much cash that they refused to return to me. Will they use that money to pay costs? They've got over £1600 if I recall correctly. Closer to £1700 in fact. They also said they'll make decisions on my behalf, a condition that I personally want to rewrite, as I'd like to be consulted before decisions are made.

A quick recap of the accident itself. I entered an unmarked 3 lane roundabout. There were 4 exits available. I used the left hand lane to go to the second exit. The second exit is a dual lane exit, not a single lane exit, which in the opinion of 3 driving schools is an exit I can use from the left lane on that roundabout. The other driver was in the middle lane, and seems to have been heading to the second exit also, however they swerved into my lane and hit my car on the right side, scraping from the driver door to the rear wheel arch. They're vehicle suffered very minor damage in comparison to mine. Simply a minor dent to the front week arch. It's undoubtedly her fault, and her shifts in story reflect it. She began with a mysterious third driver who swerved towards her so she swerved towards me. She then argued I was in the wrong lane. Now she argues that I cut her off.

Is there any advice you have for me? Thanks in advance.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you post details of the location, your entry point and your exit point so we can offer advice on liability.

What I will say straight away is that I am seeing a trend in the west Midlands for new drivers to be taught some very dubious practices for roundabout lane discipline.

Turning to the consent indemnity form sign or not it makes very little deference they can pursue you for recovery either way. Signing it keeps you involved in the process. Don't sign it and they will just settle the other drivers claim.

Did you ever bother to follow the advice on how to sort the alleged ghost broking or did you just Bury your head in the sand.
  • Morph4610
    Morph4610 Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Sham, have you advertised for a lift share? Surely somebody with a spare seat in their car would appreciate the extra cash
  • ShamA29
    First Anniversary
    Options
    angrycrow wrote: »
    Can you post details of the location, your entry point and your exit point so we can offer advice on liability.

What I will say straight away is that I am seeing a trend in the west Midlands for new drivers to be taught some very dubious practices for roundabout lane discipline.

Turning to the consent indemnity form sign or not it makes very little deference they can pursue you for recovery either way. Signing it keeps you involved in the process. Don't sign it and they will just settle the other drivers claim.

Did you ever bother to follow the advice on how to sort the alleged ghost broking or did you just Bury your head in the sand.

Hi, I did follow through. I filed an Action Fraud report, gave them EVERYTHING I have on the scum who messed me over. They even produced a news article based on my story. They haven't tracked the guy down yet.

I'm going to ask DirectLine rewrite one of the conditione, as they say in the form they'll settle without consulting me. I'd much rather be consulted before a decision is made.

I'll post up relevant pictures later today..
  • ShamA29
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I've been trying to add pictures but not sure how it works?
  • ShamA29
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Okay so hopefully this works.

I entered in the left hand lane of an unmarked 3 lane roundabout. wluq9j.png

I stayed in my lane, and headed towards the second exit. Even on Google maps, you can see the driver in the picture using the roundabout in this manner, and as mentione previously, local drivers and driving schools agree that this is legal and correct use of the roundabout.
    m747xj.png

We crashed on the roundabout itself, with her swerving into my lane. Her story has changed far too many times, she's gone from a mysterious third driver being at fault, to me using the roundabout incorrectly, to me going into her lane.

Here is the damage to her car, the only damage to her car.
    2zom0w3.jpg

Here are a few shots of my car
    2cc6xe.jpg
    30wxgd0.jpg
    35i6gww.jpg

I know it's cliche to refuse that it's my fault, but it well and truly isn't. This woman refused to let me even call the police, I pitied her and didn't. On the scene she said she'd pay for the damages. As soon as she got home and told her father, the two of them became manipulative and lied through their teeth. I have one account of what's happened, the true account. Her account has 3 variations and God knows what else she's said.

Thanks in advance.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    Options
    That roundabout needs proper markings. Each exit is single lane with three exits off from your entry point. Left lane to turn left (Burnley Lane) , middle to go straight on (Stechford Lane) and right lane to go right (Station Road). If you straight lined it like the silver car in the photos you would actually be moving into her lane making you the fault driver. Just because every other driver uses the roundabout wrong does not absolve you of blame.

You then have to accept that your credibility is poor in the eyes of the insurers because they voided your policy for providing false info. I know the ghost broker actually did that but you did not flag the errors when you received the documents making you complicit.

Take the 50/50 offer it is the best you will get.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback