Put away your purse & become debt-averse

Options

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,597 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I find the hanging loops a nuisance so usually cut them out and put them into my stash of odds and ends of ribbons, lace etc so I've always got bits to use when needed.

Denise
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My mam still cuts the hanging loops out of my clothes if she sees them... :rotfl:
    The cats find them to be entertaining toys if you ever have any spares foxgloves.
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,189 Forumite
    Options
    Re hanging loops, Joe Denise & CCL, I do often use them, if it's a garment made from jersey or something else where the neckline could stretch out of shape, but on some clothes, they're just really annoying, & always poke out.
    LOL re car toys, CCL, our cat is too lazy for that. The only game he really enjoys is swiping at people's fingers through the bannister rails.
    F
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Well, I keep going on about being resourceful, don't I? Especially in regard to shopping from home saving decent amounts of cash.
    So I was surprised yesterday to go round the back of the dining room table & discover a big crate I'd forgotten about. While getting Mum's house ready to go on the market, I packed a load of household cleaning type stuff into this crate, because even though there were products I don't usually buy myself, it just seemed wrong to throw them away unused. A lot of plastic waste which seemed even worse somehow when full of useable stuff. The crate is still sitting there, completely rammed, so I must get that task on my list at some point soon, to go through everything & try to find room in the cleaning cupboard. I usually only buy a very minimal array of cleaning products, so I suspect once I've unpacked this lot, I won't need to buy anything for a long while.
    Just about to write my list for this morning's city centre trip.......I need a few bits & pieces, for which I will use my personal spends (I budget a modest monthly amount for each of us). Mr F could do with a new hoodie as his good one is v worn, so I've also popped in a voucher & some cash from our Clothes Piggy, in case he sees anything. And I've made a packed lunch so we don't arrive at the supermarket (we will do our grocery shopping on route home) & head straight for paninis & chips in the cafe!
    So different from the Spendy Years...... but better.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think that sounds like you have a lovely day planned today foxgloves. Enjoy it.
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Thanks, CCL. Yes, our day was both useful & enjoyable x

City Centre trip went as planned - I was able to use two Body Shop vouchers to reduce costs, crossed an item off my list which can wait until payday & saved £25 because a skirt I wanted had sold out in my size. Bargainaceous Find of the Day, however, went to Mr F....... although it was nearly a bit of a lesson about how clothes shops work. He has been needing a new hoodie for ages. He has one 2nd hand one & one that frankly looks like it could walk to the rag bag on its own. A couple of weeks ago, he saw a lovely one in a shop, it fitted great & he really, really liked it. We easily had sufficient funds in our Clothing Piggy to buy it,....... so for no reason whatsoever, he didn't bother & left it in the shop!! I explained how clothes shops work.... that they have frequently changing collections & that he may well return at a later date & find the hoodies all sold out. He looked at me as though I was speaking in tongues & said "Of course they'll still be there" & that he'd get it some time this month (despite being In the shop right now. Unfathomable!)
    Revisited yesterday to buy one. As predicted by Nostradamus Foxgloves, they had all sold out. Well, he wasn't happy with that at all & was about to stomp out, but this involved stomping past a sale rail. He noticed a couple of different, but equally nice, hoodies on it & tried them on. Just what he needed. The reduction was from £60 each to £35 each. I noticed one had another figure on the label which looked like £30, but I didn't have my specs on so asked a nearby assistant. She said "Yes it does say £30, but actually everything on that rail is £13.50 now". So he bought both of them. Basically £120's worth for £27.
    It looked like it was going to be a bit of a lesson in not delaying much needed purchases too long because of losing the item altogether, but the kindly Bargain Fairy was smiling on him today & he was well pleased with himself.
    Slightly different story afterwards at the supermarket......not our cheap one of choice..... weekly grocery budget target overspent by £9, so bah to that, but the month is yet young.
    Have a lovely Sunday, all.
    F x
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I hope you bought that cycle helmet!

I made the mistake of thinking that I didn't need one as I was riding on the path-cycle path and that I was too much of an adult to fall off. I was very wrong and hit my head on the corner of a concrete doorstep. The doctors said that it was lucky that my head immediately swelled outwards (by about 4 inches!!) as it meant that I wasn't bleeding into my brain.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • foxgloves
    Options
    CLF - Yes, I did indeed buy a cycle helmet. I had no idea what to buy, how to adjust, etc. Sales assistant was very helpful. He saw me trying one on at a rakish angle & came over to explain that it needed to be worn straight to protect my head in the right places, how tight it needed to be, etc. He also said that as they all confirm to safety standards, there was no need for me to spend lots of money. So I just bought the basic £10 one which fitted fine, & I'll give it a road test this coming week.
    Felt strangely virtuous once I'd bought one.
    F x
  • foxgloves
    Options
    Hope everyone enjoying the BH. Commiserations to those who have to work, esp NHS, emergency services staff who have to work bank Holidays to keep the rest of us safe.
    We're having a very low spend day. We enjoyed a walk around the castle & riverside in our local town & we are planning to watch a film later.
    Perhaps because it's a very chilly day here, Mr F suddenly announced he could fancy a nice home made rice pudding if I could fancy making one. Only about a teaspoon of pudding rice left, so detoured from riverside to supermarket to buy some. £1.05 for a 500g pack. It struck me while we were waiting for the self-service check-out to stop having a lalah that at 50g,a time, this is sufficient for 10 puddings! I've often made one to use up surplus milk, they only require a tablespoon of sugar, a knob of butter & a pinch of nutmeg. As a jam maker, I always have nice jams in the pantry for dollopping on top. Funny how a home made rice pudding feels like a treat, with such run-of-the-mill ingredients. Perhaps it's that lovely baked nutmeggy smell wafting out of the oven.
    OK, must fetch my diary now & start planning the week ahead. Will start writing tomorrow's job list too, as I want a really productive week.
    Cheers all,
    F x
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Kantankrus_Mare Posts: 6,106 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ive never made rice pudding. My nanna used to make it when she was alive and it was beautiful. Any chance of the recipe? My mam and brother would be in heaven if I could get one made that was anywhere near what my nanna used to make.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback