Change supplier CARE

Options
I am very impressed with the speed with which it is possible to change from one supplier to another but why does it take so long to obtain the final bill from the old supplier. I have been advised by Co-operative Energy that it will take 42(!) days from change over date before the final invoice is issued and I get a refund for overpayment. In the past it has been very happy to accept my monthly readings but as soon as my supply changed it is not possible to advise of the final readings. I find this very unsatisfactory and is something the media should warn anyone considering a change. Based on past experience this is the worst service for a final account to date.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EXSUDBURY wrote: »
    I am very impressed with the speed with which it is possible to change from one supplier to another but why does it take so long to obtain the final bill from the old supplier. I have been advised by Co-operative Energy that it will take 42(!) days from change over date before the final invoice is issued and I get a refund for overpayment. In the past it has been very happy to accept my monthly readings but as soon as my supply changed it is not possible to advise of the final readings. I find this very unsatisfactory and is something the media should warn anyone considering a change. Based on past experience this is the worst service for a final account to date.

Suppliers have to use their 'reasonable efforts' under EU Law and the terms of their Supply Licence to produce a Final Bill within 6 weeks of the date of transfer. The losing supplier cannot issue a Final Bill until it has received industry-verified meter readings from your new supplier. This verification process can take 10 to 14 days. I am not defending the system, just explaining it. All you have been given is a standard answer to the question that you posed. You were lucky, I received this message a couple of days ago from Octopus:

Quote: Important: Your final bill with your old supplier

In our experience, it can take a long time to get your final bill from your old supplier — anything from 8 weeks to 8 months. The good news is you’ve already given us your opening meter reading, which really helps speed things up. Unquote
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure