In a pickle.......

Good Afternoon everyone
I could really do with some help-i want to set up life insurance (simple right?) Not quite-im a mother and carer to my son and want to be able to save for both mine and his funeral and choose our funeral service etc and whatever is left he gets via a family member overseeing things........
I feel completely out of my depth and overwhelmed by it all---any help and/or advice is very welcome.
I have literally just signed up today on the website.
Thank you for reading

Comments

• The simplest and most MSE answer is to;

1. Write a will and detail your wishes in it.
    2. Start saving.

Funeral insurance or whatever it is called is very rarely worth it
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's not clear whether you want life insurance or a funeral plan.
    Life insurance gives you a lump sum which you can whatever you want with including buying a funeral but it doesn't insure you against the rising cost of funerals. That's fairly easy to get round by picking a bigger number e.g. £100,000 would easily cover a £5,000 funeral with a lot left over.
    This might be your simplest approach and you don't need to save anything and also you'll be insured from day 1.

Funeral plans cover you against rising costs in the future, but if you're saving then you won't be covered whilst you are saving up.

Life insurance seems to be the simplest product, but you'd need 2 policies, 1 each.
  • Thank you for explaining- !!!128515; do you know if life insurance pays out early (my son isn't and wont be able to sort out his own funeral etc) or at least part of it so i could get this organised? Sorry for being a complete pain? And is the best option to do a comparison site?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    This website does a decent article on life insurance

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/life-insurance/
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport