Jewellery help please, 18 carat white gold

Options
Hi.

I need some advice, please.

A ring that I have had for two years keeps going gold. It is 18-carat white gold, which I appreciate will discolour due to gold being, well gold. However, it has been back to the shop we bought it from 4 times in the space of 18months as it has gone gold very quickly. The last time it went back and got sent back to me was less than a month ago, I was told it had been remade with a higher palladium content and re-plated with rhodium. In the 3 weeks since it was last done it has started to discolour and go gold again. I work in an office and whilst I have horses, so I am outside twice a day, (in gloves at the moment!) I do not use chemicals or consider myself to do anything that may cause this. I have Googled and it suggests that sometimes oils in the skin can cause it, but twice it has started to go gold by the top on the outside that is not in contact with any skin (doesn't always start on my palm side).

The shop has now basically said there is nothing more they will do, I either take out a care package (£2.99 a month for unlimited cleaning) or pay to have it remade in palladium. My argument is that this should not be happening so quickly and I would like to understand why/them resolve this.

I do not have much jewellery knowledge, but the shops we went into when trying on wedding rings all commented on the colour of my engagement ring and said it should not change so quickly and to go back to the original shop, which we did, 4 times!

Please can someone help and advise if this is something I should pursue, and how I should go about it?

Thank you,

Sarah

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A quick search suggests the thickness and quality of rhodium plating may be the root of the problem. Whilst it might be that your skin type is just not suited to white gold, if it's fading on a surface that is not in contact with skin then this might suggest contact wear (e.g. rubbing inside the gloves) - the thinner the plating, the quicker it'll wear.
  • xsezzx
    xsezzx Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

I was told the time prior to this last time it was done it was double coated - it lasted around 4-5 months (prior to that it was 1-2 months).

I am unsure if they are actually doing this or not, or where I stand with getting it resolved (if, of course, it can be resolved?). I believe the only way around this is to get it re-made in palladium, but I am not sure it should be down to me to cover the cost of this, or is it?
  • xsezzx
    Options
    Can I bump this, please? Can anyone help with where I stand / if I should push this and who I should raise this to? Is there a jewellery ombudsman?
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How much was the ring?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • xsezzx
    Options
    I believe it was £1200? It was my engagement ring, so I am not sure of the exact amount. I know it was over £1000 though.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You will not get a platinum ring free as a replacement. You will have to pay for it.

Never heard of a jewellery ombudsman. You have had two years wear from the ring, unfortunately, no matter what you pay for jewellery the moment to take it out of the store it decreases( in value. Well unless perhaps vintage or owned by someone very famous.

White gold is something that needs retipped, I know someone who has to get her one done once a year. I have some white gold pieces all 9-14ct gold and never had the yellow gold come through. But I do not wear them every day.

Did the jewellery give a guarantee with the ring when bought? I have heard of some who will retip once under guarantee otherwise you have to pay.
  • xsezzx
    Options
    I was not expecting a platinum ring free, I was wondering if they should be responsible for re-making it in palladium.

I understand about the value, but it was not a cheap ring (and I know there are more expensive ones out there) but it isn't the cheap of the cheap and I can't see how it is acceptable, that after a month it is discolouring already?

It does state on their website "the plating will last 1-2 years". Mine is not lasting anywhere near this! The most it has lasted was 3 months...
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If this is happening repeatedly and even after being 'double plated' and remade with more palladium it's likely to be the acids in your skin, in which case they are not obliged to re-make the ring for you.

Have you tried taking it to an independent jewellers for advice? They may plate it better or tell you whether they believe it's a problem with the actual ring.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It is highly unusual to have to get white gold rings dipped more than every 6 months.

If it were down to the acids in the skin, surely the area in contact with the skin would be far worse?

I think at this point I would be looking at getting an independent inspection done to see if anything is amiss with the quality of the ring.

Both my wedding and engagement ring are palladium.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure