How do find out about PPI from years ago?!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
4 replies 1.2K views
ged.sturdyged.sturdy Forumite
2 Posts
Hello all, need some help please :)

MSE website states, if you don't know if you had PPI then you can perform a credit check and that will at very least give you the details of accounts and banks you dealt with etc to point you in the right direction but Credit History only goes back 6 years ??

QUESTION IS if I was terrible with my finances (I'm ashamed to say it's true :( ) between the year 2000 and about 2005 and I have no documents left from that time, how do I go about finding out about the loans and credit cards I may have had at the time?

Apologies, I know I should keep records of this kind but was glad to see the back of that particular period of my life finances wise.

Thanks a lot people!!

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    but Credit History only goes back 6 years ??

correct. For things older than 6 years you are reliant on your own memory and records.
    QUESTION IS if I was terrible with my finances (I'm ashamed to say it's true ) between the year 2000 and about 2005 and I have no documents left from that time, how do I go about finding out about the loans and credit cards I may have had at the time?

You dont unless your banking relationship with with the same bank the whole time. Then you know what bank it is.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    ged.sturdy wrote: »
    I was terrible with my finances between the year 2000 and about 2005 and I have no documents left from that time, how do I go about finding out about the loans and credit cards I may have had at the time?
    Your only prospect of achieving your goal would be to send Subject Access Request (SAR) letters to each of the lenders you suspect you may have had loans or credit cards with. For £10 each, these lenders will send you all information they have kept on file for you. This could prove very expensive, particularly if no records have been kept.

Alternatively, if all you want to know is if you had PPI on any of this forgotten finance, you could just ask that question directly. Again, you may not get any affirmative responses but it won't cost you a tenner each time.
  • DigForVictoryDigForVictory Forumite
    11.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Easter project is feeding my filing cabinet through a shredder.
    I intend to hang onto everything from the last 6 months & one of everything before that. Odds on any financial product I may have had will be in there somewhere...
  • Thanks everyone for the tips. I have some idea of course so will start contacting people !!!55357;!!!56848;
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides