TSB Not Offering 2.8% APR?

Options
Hi all,

I'm trying to apply for a loan via my TSB online banking to fund a car purchase, I decided to go with TSB as I thought I could get a loan at their advertised 2.8% APR as this is far better than the car dealership's PCP APR.

However, I have just logged in to my online banking, tried to apply for the loan and I'm only being offered 9.9% APR?

I've banked for a while with TSB (since they split with Lloyds) and Experian rates my credit score as 999 out of 999. I have a fair amount of credit history too with previous car finance agreements, credit cards, loans and a mortgage, so I can't see the issue?

I can call TSB tomorrow after work, but seeing as I have put a deposit down on the car today, I'm now feeling a little anxious.

Can anyone else shed some light to why this might be happening?

Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    They'll offer the headline rate to 51% of successful applicants, but they will be the lowest risk 51% based on their criteria. You don't quite meet their criteria closely enough, regardless of the fictional Experian score.

Try a soft search to see where else may be suitable.
  • Prof_FrinkProf
    Options
    Thanks ZX81, soft search on this website says I have a 95% chance of approval.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Approval of the loan, not at the headline rate.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have this theory that people with very good histories often self-select and apply for the table-topping rates. Getting into the 51% approved group can then be quite difficult. Applying to a company with a 3.5% rate might be easier because it doesn't have the same attraction or competition.

That might well be total bull of course, but I'm sticking with it.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm trying to apply for a loan via my TSB online banking to fund a car purchase, I decided to go with TSB as I thought I could get a loan at their advertised 2.8% APR as this is far better than the car dealership's PCP APR.

However, I have just logged in to my online banking, tried to apply for the loan and I'm only being offered 9.9% APR?

I've banked for a while with TSB (since they split with Lloyds) and Experian rates my credit score as 999 out of 999. I have a fair amount of credit history too with previous car finance agreements, credit cards, loans and a mortgage, so I can't see the issue?

I can call TSB tomorrow after work, but seeing as I have put a deposit down on the car today, I'm now feeling a little anxious.

Thanks!

You don't fit TSB's risk profile to be offered the representative rate but they will give you a loan at a higher rate.

Your 999 from Experian is meaningless since there's no such thing as a universal credit score. Each lender scores you on a number of criteria such as credit history and affordability but categorically not the score Experian give you.
  • Prof_FrinkProf
    Options
    Thanks Nebulous2, that makes sense.

What is my best plan of attack? Ideally I would apply for a loan this evening but I don't want to have an application turned down and for it to leave a mark on my credit history.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks Nebulous2, that makes sense.

What is my best plan of attack? Ideally I would apply for a loan this evening but I don't want to have an application turned down and for it to leave a mark on my credit history.

It's hard to say. You will have one hard search already for TSB. Lenders wont see if you were successful, just that a search has been made. What rate is the garage offering? Their credit will be easier to get. Rates are often better between £7500- £15000 and for 3-5 years.

If it was me I'd make one more application. I'd go with an eligibility checker, pick a company with a high chance outside the top 2-3 for best rates. If that doesn't work you would be reaching a point where the hard searches could go against you. Then you might have to accept you wont get better than the garage / TSB.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks!

What do Call credit and Equifax rate you as ?

TSb could have checked them 2 for your credit history.
  • Prof_FrinkProf
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    What do Call credit and Equifax rate you as ?

TSb could have checked them 2 for your credit history.

Just carried out a check with Equifax, all looks okay. Not sure how to find an actual score figure though?
  • Prof_FrinkProf
    Options
    Done it! Sainsburys bank at 3.1%! Thanks everyone for their help.

I think it's a bit miss leading that when you use the soft search on here it advises you that you have a 95% chance of getting a loan at 2.9% when in fact, you don't!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure