PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tufnell Park London area safety

Options
Hi all,

I’m looking for views from people who live ideally in Tufnell Park area on how safe it is in and around the local area walking late at night and by the tube station etc.

We are looking at options to purchase a property and have spent months analysing all the different factors and what would be the best fit for commute affordability amenities and safety. Tufnel Park comes out n.o1 BUT there have been some recent stabbings in nearby Kentish Town and Camden I believe and we saw that Archway and Tufnel Park seem to be a prime hotspot for crimes, muggings, moped mobile thefts and burgularies also seem more proement In this area + also up to East Finchley.

I know the usual ‘bad things happen all over London’ but the point is ows anyone have in depth good knowledge and insight of the reality of specifically the Tufnell Park and direct surrounding areas, how safe are they, how often have you actually witnessed ASB or thefts etc etc and do you feel safe around these areas when it’s dark or late especially given the rise in gang crime and stabbings very recently and over the last few years.

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So, you're going to make the biggest purchase in your life, yet you haven't even gone for a walk around? Don't you think this might be a good idea, rather than merely asking randoms off the internet for their thoughts...?

You can get crime stats for an area from the internet. How safe you feel an area is, is entirely up to you and your perception. Some people are afraid of the dark - others don't fear monsters under the bed. A slightly built woman or old aged pensioner might feel different to a 6'5 bodybuilder. Which are you?
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Options
    Lukesamg7 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I’m looking for views from people who live ideally in Tufnell Park area on how safe it is in and around the local area walking late at night and by the tube station etc.

We are looking at options to purchase a property and have spent months analysing all the different factors and what would be the best fit for commute affordability amenities and safety. Tufnel Park comes out n.o1 BUT there have been some recent stabbings in nearby Kentish Town and Camden I believe and we saw that Archway and Tufnel Park seem to be a prime hotspot for crimes, muggings, moped mobile thefts and burgularies also seem more proement In this area + also up to East Finchley.

I know the usual ‘bad things happen all over London’ but the point is ows anyone have in depth good knowledge and insight of the reality of specifically the Tufnell Park and direct surrounding areas, how safe are they, how often have you actually witnessed ASB or thefts etc etc and do you feel safe around these areas when it’s dark or late especially given the rise in gang crime and stabbings very recently and over the last few years.

Personally, I think you've answered your own question there :eek:
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    There are rough bits in Kentish Town and Tuffnell Park (TP) - doesn't stop the rest of the area being hugely desirable and very expensive. They were quite grim/rough at one time and have been gentrified over the years. Means there will always be a mix of people. My nan and grandad and my dad (now all sadly gone) were all from over Kentish Town way.

You'll get stabbings in every area sadly and even streets vary drastically so you really can't compare one with another in areas like these. Also stabbings are often gang related, and often happen in places where both parties don't live, and they're rarely random. Muggings? Yeah, I expect the odds will be higher living ANYWHERE in London rather than just outside in suburbia somewhere.

Been to TP a couple of times and loved it. It did feel quite 'London' and I would certainly want to keep my wits about me far more than in the outskirts. It's somewhere I may have lived when I was younger, same as Camden, but I'm 47 now and wouldn't choose to live in either. I prefer a more sedate lifestyle - going out for dinner rather than clubbing. Both way too busy for me now - happy to go to a gig there, but glad to go home after.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I live not far away and I don't get the impression TP has a particular reputation - it's probably safer than neighbouring Archway, which does have a bit of a rep. I'd never worry about stabbings, as has been said, those are gang-related, not launched at random people.
  • Lukesamg7
    Options
    @Reading Tim of course we’ve looked, we’ve visited there a number of times and at night but because this is a huge decision it’s good to check with people who actually have daily experience of living there or near there.
    Online crime stats can be misleading.
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stabbings, shootings and acid attacks have happened in Kensington and Knightsbridge.

So if you wish to live in inner London I wouldn't worry too much. If you are that concerned move to the countryside.
  • Lukesamg7
    Options
    Thanks @Hazyjo - all good points. We are not that young anymore either so also want a more peaceful place and way of life but me and my partner both work in central London, London Bridge and Oxford C so it’s hard to find places that are in a really nice safe surburan feel area with low crime and reasonably affordable housing but are still within a 1hr commute as anything more than that defeats the point of removing the stress of a busy area if it’s replaced by stress of a really long and horrible commute. We’re happt to stay in London or outskirts for another 3-5 years then would look to move out completely, n.o1 factor in where we move is safety of the area and a nice feel when you walk around etc, like you get in Richmond or Hampstead but they’re probably not quite affordable so here inlies the catch 22. We thought after tons of research and visiting areas etc that Tufnell Park was a good middle ground but the more we’ve read about the surrounding areas it seems like it’s in the middle of 3-4 pretty grim and rough crime hotspots but we wanted to hear from people who actually live there to get good opinions before we rule out tufnel park completely as it has a lot of pro’s such as near to Hampstead Heath and Highgate and Muswell Hill and all those nice areas + it’s a good commute for our work etc.
  • Lukesamg7
    Options
    @Rich2808 ideally we DO want to live in the countryside or somewhere more surburban and safe but hard to find anywhere that is a decent commute to London Bridge and Oxford Circus under 1hr and not having to get on a south west train which will constantly break down etc.
    Any suggestions from anyone are more than welcome.

St Albans was one idea.
    Richmond. Kingston and Wimbledon have been others but don’t know if any of those are defiantly much safer, crime stats seem to suggest Richmond and St Albans certainly would be though both of the commutes from those places would possibly be over and hour which isn’t ideal.
  • hazyjo
    Options
    I'm in London too - City (Liv St) so get your concerns. I'm definitely a townie, and loved T.Park, but I just couldn't do it now. Way too many people, and too London for me.

To add another choice, what about Wanstead? Walk from Bank to Lon Br. and tube straight through to Oxford St.
  • hazyjo
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income