cat plucking carpet

how can I stop my cat plucking the carpet. He does this usually when he is waiting for me to come downstairs, he stands on the same stair and plucks..it is nearly threadbare. What can I do?

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Does he have a scratching post? Might help if it's near the stair.

From my experience, they rarely change where they do it if they know they get a reaction. My Morris has started on the sofa. They do it to get attention or in anticipation. They often also do it before and after going out. Sometimes to 'sharpen their claws' or cos it feels nice or to add their scent - but it's often to get a reaction. Morris knows it's naughty. If I catch him about to do it and say 'don't even think about it...' he huffs and walks off.

Put a traditional doormat at the bottom of the stairs. Mine love those. Am sure Mo would attack the stairs if it wasn't there.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • He does it mostly on the second stair down from the top which is a bit difficult to put something on them to stop him, and, my stairs are in the living room so I cant stop him going on them. he does run off if I catch him and shout at him so I do think its to get my attention but if I'm not doing things quick enough for him that's when he does it...cats eh...who'd ave em x
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Try spraying Scratch No More from Kleneze, its citrus based and it stopped our cat instantly
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • ooh will try that ...save having a baldy stair!!! thanks
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Try also to put some orange peel on the stair till you can get some spray
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • My wife's cats have ruined around £10,000 worth of furniture over the years. I wish she would get rid but there's no chance.

Her cats generally pull the carpets up by the corner of the doors. We put down thin rubber mats under each door. Helps a bit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure