Audit Trail for Inheritance Money

rachooo109
rachooo109 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 23 February 2018 at 9:23AM in Deaths, funerals & probate
Thank You!

Comments

• I should also add that I provided my grandfather with a statement of the single transaction, showing the money going into my account, but he said it wasn't good enough, and he needed to see every transaction in between.
  • Yorkshireman99
    Yorkshireman99 Posts: 5,470 Forumite
    edited 22 February 2018 at 10:47PM
    rachooo109 wrote: »
    I should also add that I provided my grandfather with a statement of the single transaction, showing the money going into my account, but he said it wasn't good enough, and he needed to see every transaction in between.
    Tell them you will let the solicitor see them but not them. They are trying it on!
  • This sounds like the pension company sent the money directly to you because you were named as beneficiary by your father.

The money fell outside the scope of the estate therefore your grandfather does not need any information in relation to it.

You've co-operated by showing him the initial payment going into your account, anything more is because he WANTS to know, not because he NEEDS to know.

Tell him the request for further disclosure can come via the solicitor, along with a full reason for asking.

You can buy a copy of the will for £10 here https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Ask him WHY?

if the pension falls outside the estate it is none of his business

if it fell within the estate he only needs to know what you got paid not where you put it.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 22 February 2018 at 11:41PM
    This sounds like the pension company sent the money directly to you because you were named as beneficiary by your father.

The money fell outside the scope of the estate therefore your grandfather does not need any information in relation to it.

You've co-operated by showing him the initial payment going into your account, anything more is because he WANTS to know, not because he NEEDS to know.

Tell him the request for further disclosure can come via the solicitor, along with a full reason for asking.

You can buy a copy of the will for £10 here https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

I don't think you can do that while you are alive, although nothing to stop you sending payments to anyone's account you like, so I think this is more likely to be classed as gifting from income, and the executors will need some of that info in order to complete the IHT forms, but not where it was going or what the OP was spending it on.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    I assumed this was a post death payment.
  • I assumed this was a post death payment.

I may have misinterpreted that, clarification required.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I think whether this is a pre of post death payment from the pension co, whether it is outside the estate or in, the OP has provided all that need be required. They have confirmed the payment went into their account and what then happens to it is no-one else's business.[/FONT]
  • I was wondering if the father had the money paid to the son for some reason who then transferred it to his father!!!8217;s account.
  • I read the original post to mean that OP had been specifically named as a beneficiary on his father's nomination form for any pension/death in service payment.

When the father died OP was paid directly by the pension provider, a lump sum. Outside the scope of the estate, therefore the amount not required for the tax forms & none of grandfather's business. Otherwise I'm not sure why it would have gone straight to the son & not to the 'executors of the estate'?

YM99 you've let us down with this one. You ordinarily quote an OP's thread in full, except this time! He's gone & deleted it so now we can't refresh our memory by reading your quote! :rotfl::rotfl:
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure