'The Ordinary' skincare products

Options

Comments

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    suejb2 wrote: »
    (You will probably have guessed by now that I am a skin care junkie, I do, however, have really good skin, particularly for an old 'un

I'll bow to your greater knowledge, I have never had a skin regime. Ending this year with my 50th thought I'd give it a go. My days, where do I start? I like the look and price of The Ordinary and I appreciate their no nonsense approach but I just don't know what to get. I've read and read all the blurb and like the sound of hyaluronic acid but don't want any faffing about . Any pointers please?

I have been pondering on how best to answer you, first off, even if you are currently a soap and water gal I would get a cleanser. Not a foaming one, but Superdrug do 2 variations on the Hot Cloth Cleanser, depending on your skin type, don't know TO ones. The Ordinary Hyluronic Acid as mentioned by Jenniewb should be good for pretty much everyone, apply sparingly you can always add more, then a moisturiser with spf 30 if you spend any time outdoors, commuting, working, leisure etc. More oily skin type would benefit from a lighter water based moisturiser and normal/dry something oil based (which is most products really)

If you come back with more information about your skin type and any special needs such as clogged pores, roseacea, dry patches etc I think that someone would come along with recommendations from The Ordinary and others.

Depending on your price point I would start off less expensive anyway then if you find something not really right for you, not too much money invested. Superdrug, The Ordinary,The Body Shop all good starting points. You can then add in serum, eye cream etc if necessary.

HTH
    MM
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »
    I have been pondering on how best to answer you, first off, even if you are currently a soap and water gal I would get a cleanser. Not a foaming one, but Superdrug do 2 variations on the Hot Cloth Cleanser, depending on your skin type, don't know TO ones. The Ordinary Hyluronic Acid as mentioned by Jenniewb should be good for pretty much everyone, apply sparingly you can always add more, then a moisturiser with spf 30 if you spend any time outdoors, commuting, working, leisure etc. More oily skin type would benefit from a lighter water based moisturiser and normal/dry something oil based (which is most products really)

If you come back with more information about your skin type and any special needs such as clogged pores, roseacea, dry patches etc I think that someone would come along with recommendations from The Ordinary and others.

Depending on your price point I would start off less expensive anyway then if you find something not really right for you, not too much money invested. Superdrug, The Ordinary,The Body Shop all good starting points. You can then add in serum, eye cream etc if necessary.

HTH
    MM

Annoyingly, TO don't have a cleanser! Hylamide (owned/created by Deciem) have a cleanser as to Niod, obviously these cost a little more than TO but they do a decent job. I would say after having tried a few that the best I've tried have been from Dermalogica but blowing £30-£40 on a cleanser is just way too much and unless it's gifted to me it isn't going to happen. Even if they do remove my make up with one step!

I'm with you on the non-foaming preference though- I used to love a good foam but the side effects combined with aging skin, it's just more anxiety than it's worth.

The key to getting make up off if you also struggle with this, I've found, is to apply the cleanser you are using neat to your skin and emulsify without water, before adding a little water at a time to rub away the cleanser and hopefully the make up, it might not get every scrap of mascara off but it does do a great deal more than when I've added water to my skin first and then added cleanser.

If anyone knows of a facial oil which removes make up (incl. waterproof mascara and SPF in one go) doesn't feel like it leaves a film when rinsing off, (and doesn't require a muslin cloth either) please share! I've found many I like but none that do everything in one go unless I'm willing to spend upwards of £30 for 150mls which is just too much.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    jenniewb - I am a double cleanse and get stuck in with a flannel and warm water kind of a gal. I have some muslins, but much prefer flannels, I have about 18 cheap and cheerful cotton. Use 1 a day/2 days then chuck them in the washer with the towels and usually take the worst of the eye make up off first with a damp cotton pad. I use acid toners, but don't manually exfoliate, the flannel does the job.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have just bought some Ordinary products and am very impressed, hyaluronic acid , primer and 2 foundations, the serum and another which is richer. For the price I am very happy.
  • WilsonB42
    Options
    Just incase it's of any interest to my fellow skincare lovers/QVC queens....!! skinSense by Abi Cleeve, which I freakin LOVE (the overnight mask gave me better results that I have ever had with Elemis PCMC) has there first TSV on Monday the 5th. Ive seen that they did the exact same TSV on QVC France last week, and it looks amazing (contains the Lip Plump which has been on waitlist for about a month). Ive worked out the price in Euros-Pounds and I think here is going to be at least a £70 off RRP!!
  • sunfield91
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »
    I have just bought some Ordinary products and am very impressed, hyaluronic acid , primer and 2 foundations, the serum and another which is richer. For the price I am very happy.
    I am a regular user of The Ordinary, and would love to try their foundations, both because of the price and the write ups, but am reluctant because the colour shown on websites does not always match real life. You could end up spending as much as the high end foundations cost, if you are not careful
    Were your foundations a good match?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am patiently awaiting my The Ordinary order to turn up

I read this thread, then had a look and decided at those prices I may as well go for it

Im 54 have combination skin with redness and flakiness on the t zone. Actually gets so sore it cracks and bleeds at times. I work in a very cold and wet envoirment which doesn't help either. I've been slapping on Nivea to work as a barrier which has helped but I need to do more

ive ordered the buffet, the lactic acid , a primer and a foundation.

I think at the moment my skin wouldn't tolerate the retinol

Shame is didn't get here today, I was looking forward to having a wee play with it all
  • Daydreambeliever
    Options
    I love The Ordinary products, I am impressed with their Hyaluronic Acid, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate moisturiser, Primer and Rosehip Oil. I'd love to try their foundations but nervous buying online as it's so hard to get the shade right.
  • PoppyTaylor
    Options
    Thank you maddiemay, that was very helpful! I will take a look at the bloggers you mentioned and check out the products on Victoria Health. A friend of mine uses some of the Indeed Labs products and really rates them too!
  • PoppyTaylor
    Options
    BorisThomson, I think that my friend used about 2 of their products and she didn't see the results she wanted so she now just says they aren't good! In my opinion, her expectations were just too high! I'll give the products a go, I hear more positive feedback than negative.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure