Buying a tumble dryer - What to look for?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Many thanks for all the replies :T

We will be buying online and if it is a vented system then we will be plumbing and making the holes for the vent ourselves, although condensing seems to be the way to go. We already empty a de-hymidifier so having to empty a tumble dryer is not too bad although we can probably plumb the machine in.

Noise could be an issue (the new doorway will lead to an office) so need to take this into account.

Cranford - many thanks to the link for the dangerous appliance list. A neighbour a few houses down had a tumble dryer fire last year and the fire brigade pushed leaflets through everyone's door as a warning. So I will check the list before buying.

Getmore4less - thanks for taking the time to post such extensive info. Our washing machine as a 1400 spin so clothes come out quite dry. I should be able to work out approx. how much use it will get to work out costs from the info you posted.

So currently thinking heat pump, or condensing that does not set on fire! and is quiet. I will let you know how I get on.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Noise could be an issue (the new doorway will lead to an office) so need to take this into account....
    Noise was one of the factors which led me to choose the Samsung. Look for noise label. I bought from John Lewis as they have price promise and no quibble return policy.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,447 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have a dreaded Hotpoint vented dryer, purchased in 2003 (IIRC)

It has had the full Hotpoint safety recall (basically, they replaced everything that they could in it)

We've never had a washing line in 30 years and T/D everything and our machine has never missed a beat with it's 3/4 loads per week average use.
  • Zandy_23
    Options
    I got one from samsung and it's been performing really well and lesser noise that what I previously had.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dryers are expensive to run, unreliable and bad for the environment. Can you not put a clothes airier where the dryer is going to go. It seems a waste to ha e something that you only use a few months of the year.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dryers are expensive to run, unreliable and bad for the environment. Can you not put a clothes airier where the dryer is going to go. It seems a waste to ha e something that you only use a few months of the year.

In terms of electricity there is not that much difference between using a dryer and a dehumidifiyer. The dryer uses more electricity, but will be on for less time and the dehumidifiyer uses less electricity, but it on for much longer (about 1 1/2 days to dry a load of clothes).

The utility room is small. The dryer will be going under a worktop next to the washing machine in place of the dehumidifiyer. So we cannot fit the dehumidifiyer and a clothes airer in the same place. Also we cannot fit the clothes airer under a worktop as it is too low, or above the worktop as it would cover two windows and part of the back door.

We know that tumble dryers are not good for the environment, but we have to wash and dry clothes somehow which I why I asked for advice on buying one.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We know that tumble dryers are not good for the environment, but we have to wash and dry clothes somehow which I why I asked for advice on buying one
    Having wet clothes in your home for longer time, .......................... is not good for your health. :beer:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 February 2018 at 10:46AM
    Options
    In terms of electricity there is not that much difference between using a dryer and a dehumidifiyer. The dryer uses more electricity, but will be on for less time and the dehumidifiyer uses less electricity, but it on for much longer (about 1 1/2 days to dry a load of clothes).

Wow... 1.5 days is a LOT. I use the clothes rail/dehumidifier setup and light clothes (shirts etc) are completely dry in a couple of hours when running the dehumidifier in maximum power laundry mode, with things like towels taking about double that. Is yours a compressor or desiccant dehumidifier? (mine is desiccant) Is there any damp in the room you use?
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • womble12345
    Options
    Just make sure it has a auto cycle, mine is really annoying as you have to tell it how long to spin for so you have to gauge when loading it how long it will take to dry the washing. Better machines have settings like 'airing cupboard dry' or 'cupboard dry' which saves all the guessing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just make sure it has a auto cycle, mine is really annoying as you have to tell it how long to spin for so you have to gauge when loading it how long it will take to dry the washing. Better machines have settings like 'airing cupboard dry' or 'cupboard dry' which saves all the guessing.

Thanks - a great help. I would not have known about this at all unless you had let me know :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure