Just a little thank you!

Been on MSE for a few years and used it more for reasearch purposes.

I'm a lift engineer by trade and have been for 11 years now until January when I was diagnosed with Epilepsy. I had been having sleep seizures for around 6-7 years and was originally diagnosed with sleep apnoea. Went in for a 48 hour EEG at the start of January, which involved me having to film myself asleep. The EEG recorded a daytime seizure as well as the nocturnal ones I had been having. I had been having the daytime ones for about 6 years or more, I just didn't know they were seizures as i've never blacked out, lost control or consciousness, never convulsed. I just used to get a rising feeling in my stomach which passed almost as soon as it started, and sometimes a build up of saliva in my mouth. The night time ones were more severe, had 8 recorded in one night while on the EEG. Also had 4 tonic clonic seizures last year at night so it was clear my condition was getting worse. Anyway, I was told from that day I couldn't drive for at least 12 months and that in turn impacted on my job. I've been on the sick from work while my medication is sorted out and won't return to work until at least May.

I've gone from a £35k+ job to just SSP in 3 weeks as I got company sick pay for the first 3 weeks at flat money for 40 hours. Got a claim in for UC (another mine field) but no decision has been made yet on any award. Had debts of £23k and this was the year everything was going to start being paid back and to be debt free by the time I was 40 or 41ish which is in 3 years time. Obviously it's not worked out like that and I may never get back to what I was earning before so bankruptcy was the only option for me really as due to the epilepsy I can't get tired or stressed as this could trigger seizures. Work aren't being helpful but that will sort itself out. I've well researched the legalities and will just go with the flow until I get some sort of resolution.

I applied for BR on Sunday, after taking 2-3 weeks filling in the forms on and off, double checking over my options during this time, reading forums and debt advice websites. I had my application approved on Monday and had my telephone interview with the OR this morning.

MOST of the advice and information I got about BR was from this site and I found it more informative than any of the other websites out there. People like CAB had waiting times of upto 8 weeks for debt help as I didn't have people knocking my door down or threatening action and I needed to get it sorted quickly to remove the stress.

So for everyone who has helped everyone else going through the BR process, although i've not asked for help directly, THANK YOU for spending the time to help others which in turn has helped me find out what I needed to know and help me get this burden off my back. Now I can just worry about getting myself back on feet and hopefully eventually back driving and slowly back into work.

:j:beer::T

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family