We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

End PCP agreement

Hello folks,

I have a car on PCP finance which I would like to end early but not sure what, if anything, I'd be liable to pay.

The cars price was £30k, I paid a £2k deposit and the monthly cost is £450 for 48 months with an £11k balloon payment. I have so far made 29 payments (£15,050 including the £2k deposit).

I read somewhere that if you've paid half the amount you can return the car under a voluntary termination.. so my question is.. half of which amount?
  1. Half of £30k, i.e. £15k?
  2. Half of £28k? i.e. £14k?
  3. Half of the monthly payments.. i.e. 450*24 months?
  4. Half of total payable plus ballon payment = 1/2 * (450*48 +11k) = £16,300
  5. None of the above lol

Appreciate any help please. Thanks!

C

Comments

  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 33,237
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Half of the total value.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

  • EcoR1
    EcoR1 Posts: 97
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    Forumite
    You need to have paid £17300
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    csharma84 wrote: »
    Hello folks,

    I have a car on PCP finance which I would like to end early but not sure what, if anything, I'd be liable to pay.

    The cars price was £30k, I paid a £2k deposit and the monthly cost is £450 for 48 months with an £11k balloon payment. I have so far made 29 payments (£15,050 including the £2k deposit).

    I read somewhere that if you've paid half the amount you can return the car under a voluntary termination.. so my question is.. half of which amount?
    1. Half of £30k, i.e. £15k?
    2. Half of £28k? i.e. £14k?
    3. Half of the monthly payments.. i.e. 450*24 months?
    4. Half of total payable plus ballon payment = 1/2 * (450*48 +11k) = £16,300
    5. None of the above lol

    Appreciate any help please. Thanks!

    C
    It will all be outlined in your agreement which I suggest you read carefully. You need to have paid 50% of the Total Amount Payable if you are planning on voluntary terminating the agreement.
  • You can phone the finance company and ask for a settlement figure, but be careful to point out you are just enquiring. From memory you get a letter with the amount that is valid for a few days.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,650
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You can phone the finance company and ask for a settlement figure, but be careful to point out you are just enquiring. From memory you get a letter with the amount that is valid for a few days.

    You can, yes, but thats fairly irrelevant.

    A settlement figure wont tell you what the O/P needs to know.

    He needs to know :-
    • Total cost of agreement (which will be on the agreement he signed) but made up of deposit + total amount financed + interest + fees.
    • He then needs to work out what takes him to half way which would be the above amount divided by two (but will also be on the form he signed)
    • He then can tell where he is relevant to that by totalling deposit + (monthly payment * months paid).
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,650
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 February 2018 at 7:17PM
    csharma84 wrote: »
    Hello folks,

    I have a car on PCP finance which I would like to end early but not sure what, if anything, I'd be liable to pay.

    The cars price was £30k, I paid a £2k deposit and the monthly cost is £450 for 48 months with an £11k balloon payment. I have so far made 29 payments (£15,050 including the £2k deposit).

    I read somewhere that if you've paid half the amount you can return the car under a voluntary termination.. so my question is.. half of which amount?
    1. Half of £30k, i.e. £15k?
    2. Half of £28k? i.e. £14k?
    3. Half of the monthly payments.. i.e. 450*24 months?
    4. Half of total payable plus ballon payment = 1/2 * (450*48 +11k) = £16,300
    5. None of the above lol

    Appreciate any help please. Thanks!

    C

    5. None of the above.

    Your total payable can be worked out from these figures by adding deposit (£2,000) + total of monthly payments (£450 * 48) + balloon payment (£11,000) = £34,600. Then dividing that by 2 = £17,300.

    29 payments @ £450 = £13050. Plus the deposit (£2,000) = £15,050 as you correctly said.

    £2,250 required to hit the 50% marker which you can either pay directly as a lump sum OR make another 5 payments (£450 * 5 = £2250) and walk away (subject to wear and tear / possible mileage charges)
  • Thank you for your responses, very helpful! :) I will hold onto the car for another 5 months.

    Would a voluntary termination affect my credit history?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    csharma84 wrote: »
    Thank you for your responses, very helpful! :) I will hold onto the car for another 5 months.

    Would a voluntary termination affect my credit history?
    No, it shouldn't but there will be marker placed on your file saying that you have VT'd.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.