Beneficiary of dec'd estate and access to house

Options
I wonder if anyone can help. My father died leaving a will naming myself and my children as joint beneficiaries. The executors are my cousin and my late father's girlfriend. Probate was granted 2 months ago. The house now needs selling. I've been denied access to the house. I was told by the Citizens advice bureau that I should have full access since probate and should take all the keys. I've politely asked again for the keys and am not being given them. Can anyone give me any advice please as to where I legally stand in all this?

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,205 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Are you and your children the only beneficiaries? Is it the intention that the executors sell the house and distribute the proceeds or is ownership of the house being passed to you?

If my assumption that the house is still owned by the estate is correct the executors have full authority to manage the house as part of the estate. Under those circumstances I dont why you should have any rights of access to the house as it's not yours.

Why do you want full access?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    You are not the sole beneficiary, so the executors have to protect the interests of all beneficiaries and have no obligation to let you have access.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    Is the property 'held in Trust'?

If so, and the will stipulates the property is to be sold, then the executors (who are usually also Trustees) have full responsibility to safeguard the asset.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure