IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parked in disabled bay invalid badge.

Options
Martok
Martok Posts: 17 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 17 February 2018 at 6:24PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
[FONT=&quot]My wife got a council parking ticket for parking in a disabled bay without displaying a valid disabled persons badge in the prescribed manner.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As she had just renewed her blue badge she had both of them in the car and when she parked she inadvertently displayed the out of date one instead of the new one.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]She appealed the ticket by email and attached a photograph of her new badge as proof that she actually had an in date one.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The council turned down her appeal and she now has 14 days from 12 February to pay the discounted charge of £35.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In the councils [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Civil Parking Enforcement Procedures it states:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]EXPIRED BADGE: NOTICE TO BE UPHELD. DISCRETION MAY BE EXERCISED IF VALID PERMIT IS PRODUCED WITHIN ONE MONTH OF EXPIRY DATE.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In my wifes case they have not used any discretion, is it worth waiting for the notice to owner and going for a formal appeal? Bearing in mind that if she loses she will have to pay the full charge of £70.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The council have stated in their letter that should my wife decide that she is going to formally appeal then she should not contact them any further but wait for the NTO form.[/FONT]

Comments

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In general council issued tickets are almost always turned down at the first appeal stage,a quick read through shows that there should be a good chance of overturning this at appeal.
    You would also be advised to post this over on pepipoo as well, as there are more experts in council parking tickets etc over there
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,723 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Martok wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]My wife got a council parking ticket for parking in a disabled bay without displaying a valid disabled persons badge in the prescribed manner.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]As she had just renewed her blue badge she had both of them in the car and when she parked she inadvertently displayed the out of date one instead of the new one.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]She appealed the ticket by email and attached a photograph of her new badge as proof that she actually had an in date one.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The council turned down her appeal and she now has 14 days from 12 February to pay the discounted charge of £35.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In the councils [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Civil Parking Enforcement Procedures it states:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]EXPIRED BADGE: NOTICE TO BE UPHELD. DISCRETION MAY BE EXERCISED IF VALID PERMIT IS PRODUCED WITHIN ONE MONTH OF EXPIRY DATE.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In my wifes case they have not used any discretion, is it worth waiting for the notice to owner and going for a formal appeal? Bearing in mind that if she loses she will have to pay the full charge of £70.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The council have stated in their letter that should my wife decide that she is going to formally appeal then she should not contact them any further but wait for the NTO form.[/FONT]
    Wow that will win later, 'no discretion exercised, contrary to stated policy - procedural impropriety'.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

Post a picture of the PCN (both sides, yes the small print bumf on the back as well) in a new topic there (no HOTMAIL emails allowed!) and wait for the NTO, that's where it will be won! And it will be.

Good research, to use their own policy to establish a procedural impropriety.

The council have stated in their letter that should my wife decide that she is going to formally appeal then she should not contact them any further but wait for the NTO form.
    True. Bring on the NTO!! Tell her to look out for it next month or so, that's the cue to win.

SHE WILL NOT LOSE.

:T
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure