IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Surprise CCJ! Please help!

Options
Hi,

I am in the process of applying for a mortgage, when I checked my credit rating I've noticed I have a CCJ on there from my previous address I knew nothing about.

I've since followed this up to find out its from a parking ticket back in 2016. As the correspondence appears to have been sent to my old address I genuinely knew nothing about this.

My mum and partner received a number of parking tickets from the same firm around this time. They hired a solicitor and went to court to challenge the fines. The judge ruled in the favour of my mum as the company had no legal contract to be issuing the fines in the first place, the fines were removed and the parking company were ordered to pay all costs.

Obviously, if I had been aware of my fine at this time, I would have been able to attend court with my mum and partner and have the fines overturned.

I have spent some time researching and reading through countless threads, I understand I need to fill in a N244 form however I am struggling to obtain all the necessary details.

I've contacted Gladstone Solicitors (who are responsible for the CCJ) and asked them to provide details of the fine and all correspondence which was allegedly sent to me however they have refused to provide any details of how and when they attempted to contact as they are not "not obliged" to do so.

Any help on what I need to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    hi, and welcome to the forum ........

the advice you need can be found in the newbie thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

there is a section on this very subject ...

please read through ... take your time .. some people find it can be hard going .. some find it easy ... :)

then watch how MP's choose to describe this industry :eek:

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

Ralph:cool:
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options

I've contacted Gladstone Solicitors (who are responsible for the CCJ) and asked them to provide details of the fine and all correspondence which was allegedly sent to me however they have refused to provide any details of how and when they attempted to contact as they are not "not obliged" to do so...
    Bear in mind that you may have now given away your location to them and they may initiate enforcement proceedings (eg bailiffs/attachment of earnings etc)

If you intend going for a set aside you need to do so ASAP (now you know about it), and also ask in your application for the court to put a hold on enforcement proceedings pending the outcome of a set aside application

The ppcs monitor this forum.

If you have inadvertently used your real name as your forum name then you need to get MSE to change it to something completely anonymous
  • nosferatu1001
    Options
    Do exactly as above
    YOu have a very limited time to sort this, now you are aware. Delaying can mean the court denies your application

You need to look at SET ASIDE threads
    You need
    1) Draft order
    2) Witness statement setting concise reasons for the set aside
    3) A4 sized defence showing you havea reasonable chance of defending

Literally all of this can be done by you now, based on the info you have. You do not need to wait for info from the other side, you do not need to panic or think you cannot defend. All these cases are based in contract law and tread well travelled ground.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    Complain in the strongest terms to your MP. Gladstones were named and shamed in the HofC a fortnight ago as scammers and have been reported to the SRA. It is likely that they, and other scammers, will be heavily sanctioned soon

Watch this video and see how much trouble they are in.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    DO NOT think this will go away if you just 'pay it off'. Don't do that. The CCJ stays, just marked 'satisfied' which does little good to rescue your wrecked credit rating.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure