🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Competency Question Help

Options

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It could be something as simple as when a customer asked you a question to which you did not know the answer or asked you for something you could not give them because it was not in stock/on the menu/whatever. What happened, how did you deal with it and what was the outcome? Did you offer an alternative with which they were really happy? Did you go and find out the answer and give them an excellent customer experience with your thoroughness and willingness to help?

Only you know the details of what you did/what happened. We were not there. Everyone deals with crises all the time. You need an example of one where you came out of it smelling of roses, ideally.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Options
    antonic wrote: »
    STAR means

S(ituation)

Set the context for what needed to be done

T(ask)

What was required of YOU

A(ctivity)

What YOU actually did and

R(esult)

What ACTUALLY happened following YOUR involvement.

The example does not need to be earth shattering BUT it does need to something YOU have done, because if you get called for interview they will ask you in detail about the competencies you have written and will quickly find out if you are fibbing !.

Yeah I’ve been using the star techequie for all my other answers.

I’m good now was just confused as the application had already asked about difficult situations. I could like of thousands given my length of service with my current employer.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    Perhaps this isn't the role for you then.

Oh really......
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Definitely good that you are planning before the interview. Its a horrible feeling being sat in silence trying to recall something!
    I agree it doesn't have to be work related. I'd say they want proof that you remained calm, thought of a plan of action and prioritised what you were going to do. Maybe its the word crisis making it sound a bit dramatic?! Just think of a previous tricky situation that was unexpected. Was someone taken ill near you? Did you break down on a busy road? Did a friend come to you in a panic over something? Have you helped evacuate customers during a fire alarm? Has a customer lost their purse? Has someone been separated from their child? Or...if you really can't think of something borrow an example from a friend. Be prepared that they will ask you questions about it though! Good luck.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just think of the last time you were asked a question and the intranet went down! I'm sure it's happened to all customer service staff.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,611 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If there are questions about 'difficult situations' and 'crisis' I can understand why you might initially be scratching your head over the difference. To put them into non work related settings, a difficult situation might be being invited to two social engagements at the same time and wondering how to let one party down without it feeling like a snub, a crisis being a burst pipe and the house being flooded with water.
  • Stylehutz
    Options
    It doesn't have to be an employment example. You can use an example from anything. A lot of people fall into the trap on competency Questions that they have to be answered in an employment situation
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    Be a bit cautious if you're going to use everyday examples, as a crisis indicates both urgency and high levels of importance. They have split the 'difficult situation' from the crisis for a reason, and that is because they are very different things.

Examples of answering difficult questions from customers or dealing with domestic situations are not usually critical.

By putting forward examples of lower level matters you risk giving the impression you don't understand the difference between something merely challenging and a crisis; and over dramatising the everyday is not a positive trait in an employee.

Crisise in employment situations are likely to be incidents involving risk to health and safety, such as violence or serious illness; significant risk to the smooth running of company operations, risk of loss of business, or reputational damage.

If you've never handled a crisis then rather than turn something everyday into one, you should be honest, but say what you would do if faced with one, and why. Far better than coming across a someone who doesn't even understand what one is.

They may not be looking for hands on experience of every area, and if you've got solid evidence in the other competences and have a sensible approach to this one, it may be enough.

Put your hands up.
  • westbridgfordguy
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I!!!8217;m applying for a customer services role within the rail Industry.

As part of the application it asked the following question and I!!!8217;m really stuck. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions using the STAR technique.

Give an example of when you have had to deal with a crisis?

Please detail the background to your example, any help you was given and what the outcome was.

I!!!8217;m totally at a loss unless I!!!8217;m missing something.

Thanks in advance.

Could be anything, running out of stock of a particular item unexpectedly, a key member of staff going sick at short notice leaving you in the lurch, customer complaints anything, they want to see how you reacted to the unforeseen circumstance and your thought process in dealing with something under pressure.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Make something up
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills