PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Removals insurance - why?

Options
I just received a quote from Pickfords for a house removal later in the year (am selling and buying later this year).

It included the option of £310 "transit insurance" and I was wondering why one would need to insure against damage or loss in transit? Surely if Pickfords damage or lose my property, they are legally liable to reimburse me for my loss?

Is this one of those insurances like PPI, that you really don't need?

Also, wondered if anyone has an opinion on a quote of £2k, give or take (excluding the insurance) for package of fragile goods (4 bicycles, two wide screen tellies, and kitchen goods) and removal from Glasgow to Birmingham? Typical 3BR semi house full.
(Nearly) dunroving

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It would be from their policy with an insurance company, not from their own pot of cash. There is likely to be tens of thousands of pounds worth of stuff on that van. If someone smashes into it and breaks or smashes everything on board, your stuff needs to be covered by an actual insurance policy.

Pickfords are never cheap. Why don't you ask for recommendations and shop around.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As you've correctly pointed out, it's unnecessary for claims where the removal company is at fault (unless you doubt that they'll have funds to pay you), but may be of value where they're not e.g. somebody else causes a road accident, breaks into van, burns down their warehouse etc.

£310 seems absurdly expensive for the risks though - I'm guessing much of that is a kickback to the removers. You might be able to get it added on to your household policy? Or just self-insure, unless you'd be bankrupted by having to replace the stuff.
  • Margot123
    Margot123 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    I've just had to read that quote again!!!!

Ring around a few well-established local companies (not 'man and van' types). You will come up with a much better quote, I'm sure.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thank you for the helpful responses so far. I hadn't thought about the "no fault" damage situation (i.e., not the remover's fault). I do plan to look into other alternatives such as standalone insurance or via my home insurer.

I wouldn't be bankrupted by replacing everything, except perhaps my bikes! I would prefer though to have the peace of mind of insurance, but £310 does seem high.

I had previously done a bit of research online about typical house removals and did think this quote for removals was quite high, especially as I will be packing everything except the fragile items. I plan to get at least two other quotes. I may need to have storage included (as I may sell before I buy), which might restrict non-national companies. [The storage costs were not included in Pickford's quote, by the way]
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Mahsroh
    Mahsroh Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 15 February 2018 at 4:21PM
    Options
    I used a removals company recently (a local business) and they charged for insurance which was detailed on the quote. Nothing like £310 though!! (although mine was a much smaller job both in terms of volume (therefore I also assume value) being transported, and distance being transported.

Ultimately, even if it's their fault, they need to take out an insurance policy. Whether they detail this out in their quote to you, or simply "include" it in their lump sum price, you'll still be paying for it one way or another!

As others have said - shop around - you'll get a better price than that!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    Mahsroh wrote: »
    Ultimately, even if it's their fault, they need to take out an insurance policy. Whether they detail this out in their quote to you, or simply "include" it in their lump sum price, you'll still be paying for it on way or another!
    In the same way that any business carries insurance. But I expect the likes of Pickfords will have quite considerable excesses on their cover, so a claim of a few thousand or so will be coming out of their own coffers and not from an insurance claim.
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Get more quotes and ask for a fully broken down one. When we moved one company I approached was double the price of the others - because they insisted a four mam team was needed and that it was a two day job with an overnight stay. The company we went with was three men and did it all in one day. We had similar sized house going half your distance. Quote was half the price of yours, including full materials and packing service.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    JoJo1978 wrote: »
    Get more quotes and ask for a fully broken down one. When we moved one company I approached was double the price of the others - because they insisted a four mam team was needed and that it was a two day job with an overnight stay. The company we went with was three men and did it all in one day. We had similar sized house going half your distance. Quote was half the price of yours, including full materials and packing service.

The Pickfords quite was lacking detail so I have got in touch with them to ask for "More, please".

For example, the quote is for their fragile packing option, but there was no list of fragile items that were included (for example, does this include my precious bikes?) I just thought that was a bit sloppy, and could end up with disagreements on moving day if the movers say "Oh, no, bikes are't included in the fragile packing option", or "The inventory only said you have two bikes"..
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2018 at 1:11PM
    Options
    Please, dunroving, get at least three quotes and ask around for recommendations. I can't tell you what a difference a decent removal firm makes to what is usually a stressful day (or two) even when moving to your dream home.

Two removals ago, great, could not fault them, they did all the packing (in a tiny fraction of the time it would have taken us) Last move, different firm, absolutely atrocious, made what was already the worst day of our lives far worse than it needed to be. Research now saves pain later. Best of luck with your move.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    dunroving wrote: »
    The Pickfords quite was lacking detail so I have got in touch with them to ask for "More, please".

For example, the quote is for their fragile packing option, but there was no list of fragile items that were included (for example, does this include my precious bikes?) I just thought that was a bit sloppy, and could end up with disagreements on moving day if the movers say "Oh, no, bikes are't included in the fragile packing option", or "The inventory only said you have two bikes"..

Check your contents insurance. We were covered by ours when moving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure