PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Sale Ad

Options
I know that decent photos on a house sale advert can go a long way to attracting buyers but I am reluctant to have my personal goods on display to the world especially so when the pictures will outlive myself on the Internet. I'd rather the house pictures were more anonymous.

I have three options:
a) Show all rooms as unfurnished
b) Photoshop some furniture items in the pictures to indicate possible layout
c) Buy some cheap household junk to make the place look more attractive

Which option might attract the most viewers to the property? I should also add I am planning to sell at 10-15% below valuation to hopefully get a quick buyer so maybe pictures aren't that important.

Any opinions gratefully received

Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chose the last 2 of those options and you're likely to end up here. Chose the first and you're going to have to find somewhere to store these personal goods which are so secret and precious you don't want them photographed. And you know what? Someone might see them there too....

Seriously?!? Stop over-thinking things and get yourself out a bit more too. As long as your stuff is clean and tidy, no-one will really care what it is.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Photoshopping anything is likely to open a can of worms. Some people might argue that you are trying to mislead (e.g. trying to make a room look bigger by using an undersized image of a sofa). At the very least, you would have to state very clearly that they are not genuine photos.
  • caspar9
    caspar9 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry but I can think of at least a dozen people who I never want to view my belongings regardless of where they are stored.

I'm intending to take the photographs myself. I am competent graphic artist so should be able to show the rooms to their best light.

I don't need to hide all my stuff from the viewers. All of the furniture and other stuff will be on show for viewings.
  • caspar9
    caspar9 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    Photoshopping anything is likely to open a can of worms. Some people might argue that you are trying to mislead (e.g. trying to make a room look bigger by using an undersized image of a sofa). At the very least, you would have to state very clearly that they are not genuine photos.

That is an excellent point. I was thinking of using wire frames to indicate positions but this could be misleading as well. It is probably best left as a blank canvas.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My biggest bug bear is the use fisheye lens to make the rooms look bigger. Saw one like that and I just left, more a box room than a bedroom. Waste of my time tbh
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • walwyn1978
    Options
    A or C. Not B.
  • bobbymotors
    Options
    OP you actually have another option.

4. Get a life
  • bobbymotors
    Options
    OP you actually have another option.

4. Get a life

sorry it should be

d. Get a life
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caspar9 wrote: »
    That is an excellent point. I was thinking of using wire frames to indicate positions but this could be misleading as well. It is probably best left as a blank canvas.

Be careful you don't make yourself appear to be an oddball to potential buyers. They may be concerned about what else you'll be weird about in the transaction.
  • caspar9
    Options
    sorry it should be

d. Get a life

Please can you tell me what is so special about your life so I can see if that is the life I am supposed to get :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure