Nationwide FlexPlus travel insurance warning

Options
2»

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,579 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Probably the largest cost involved in cruise cover is the need for medical evacuation by helicopter, or hospital costs & repatriation from some far flung place. I've seen a fair few helicopters coming out to take ill guests and that costs a bomb.

If the ship is evacuated or there are engine problems usually the cruise company compensates the guests.
    A few years ago a Fred.Olsen ship had a fire onboard- the guests got back to UK , had all their money refunded and a free future cruise. That's possibly more than an insurance pay out.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 579 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    melzest wrote: »
    Jan 2019 policy document (p 20) states that Cruises are an included activity, but 'must be inland or coastal waters only'. Based on this, I'd say they would refuse any claim on a cruise going more than 12 miles from the coast (which is I believe the international definition of coastal waters), so a complete waste of time for any ocean cruise.

Still looking for a proper cruise policy which explicitly covers evacuation from the ship. Several 'Cruise' policies talk about missed excursions, port cancellations etc; but do not mention evacuation at sea - so expect a big fight when they refuse to pay out!!

Interestingly, the FlexAccount policy has cruises listed under land based rather than water based activities so no stipulation about inland or coastal waters.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,236 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    clivep wrote: »
    Interestingly, the FlexAccount policy has cruises listed under land based rather than water based activities so no stipulation about inland or coastal waters.

We have the 'upgraded to worldwide cover' policy linked to our joint FlexAccount. As you say, the Jan 2019 policy document contains no such stipulation.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was taken ill in Australia (DVT) and have to say the insurance was brilliant. Had to stay longer than expected before being allowed to fly home and when I did they insisted it was first class. Can't praise them enough . Best bit, when I renewed I guessed it would go up and I expected by a fair old amount but it was only £140 which I paid quite happily. Highly recommended and as cheap as chips.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was taken ill in Australia (DVT) and have to say the insurance was brilliant. Had to stay longer than expected before being allowed to fly home and when I did they insisted it was first class. Can't praise them enough . Best bit, when I renewed I guessed it would go up and I expected by a fair old amount but it was only £140 which I paid quite happily. Highly recommended and as cheap as chips.

That’s great feedback.

My daughter has a flex account and we’ve just added worldwide & family with me as a guest -£120.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    I can't fault them either. My husband had a detached retina 3 weeks before we were due to fly. He was unable to fly for 6 weeks. Nationwide gave us the choice of a full refund of all holiday costs or full payment by them of another means of transport.

As we were going to France we chose the latter option and they paid for Eurostar and one night hotel accomodation pre and post-travel in London, they also paid for the difference is car hire costs at the other end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure