Is this classed as PPI

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
7 replies 1.4K views
TerrysdelightTerrysdelight Forumite
1.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
Hi

My husband was mis-sold a bank account - basically told he would lose his overdraft if he did not upgrade to their fee paying account.

Is this PPI. Can he still claim - the bank was Natwest.

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    PPI is a kind of insurance and has nothing to do with allegedly being told that an overdraft could only be obtained by upgrading to a fee-paying account. How would this be a complaint about insurance?

In fact, if the overdraft was indeed dependent upon taking a fee-paying account then I can't see there is any complaint at all.
  • TerrysdelightTerrysdelight Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    PPI is a kind of insurance and has nothing to do with allegedly being told that an overdraft could only be obtained by upgrading to a fee-paying account. How would this be a complaint about insurance?

In fact, if the overdraft was indeed dependent upon taking a fee-paying account then I can't see there is any complaint at all.

The overdraft wasn't dependent upon taking a fee-paying account, it was just a rue to force people to sign up to expensive accounts which included lots of things like holiday insurance. Again, insurance that would have been useless as didn't cover existing medical problems.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The overdraft wasn't dependent upon taking a fee-paying account, it was just a rue to force people to sign up to expensive accounts which included lots of things like holiday insurance.

Although a lot of PBAs did have improved terms for borrowing on overdraft. Not all though.
    Again, insurance that would have been useless as didn't cover existing medical problems.

We are not talking about insurance though. And actually, many types of PPI will only refuse coverage on the condition in question and not on unrelated conditions. So, its not always useless.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    The overdraft wasn't dependent upon taking a fee-paying account, it was just a rue to force people to sign up to expensive accounts which included lots of things like holiday insurance. Again, insurance that would have been useless as didn't cover existing medical problems.
    If your fee-paying account didn't include improved overdraft terms then you may have cause for complaint. I'd check that out before making such a complaint though.

Any "holiday insurance" was not PPI, of course, so I certainly wouldn't attempt to call it that in any complaint. Again, though, have you checked that the insurance would not have covered your own individual circumstance? No point complaining that it didn't cover existing medical conditions if you didn't actually suffer from any.

Your original question was if this can classed as PPI.

Clearly it's not Payment Protection Insurance.

Whether you have a valid mis-selling complaint about your fee paying account is a separate issue.
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    15K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi

My husband was mis-sold a bank account - basically told he would lose his overdraft if he did not upgrade to their fee paying account.

Is this PPI. Can he still claim - the bank was Natwest.
    This was the grounds for my packaged bank account reclaim against Barclays - they paid out.
    During 2021: Target 1) Clear CC debt £15212 £[email protected] 0% Target 2) Lose weight 3) Write regularly 38113/70000 words Book 2 4) Promote book(s) 5) Develop passive income streams 6) Build 3-6 mths EF 7) Declutter
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    This was the grounds for my packaged bank account reclaim against Barclays - they paid out.
    Regardless, it's still not PPI.
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

PPI stands for payment protection insurance. You cannot complain about a PPI sale if you didnt have PPI. PPI has its own issues.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides