Modernising kitchen on a budget

Options

Comments

• zoothornrollo_2
    Options
    Well from that tradepoint we can get all the units / worktops / fitting / sink etc for <£1k.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd go to Ikea. The cheapest B&Q units are truly awful. Yes, I have experience of seeing a family member's one over the last 10 years.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • zoothornrollo_2
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I'd go to Ikea. The cheapest B&Q units are truly awful. Yes, I have experience of seeing a family member's one over the last 10 years.

OK thanks for that, noted - I did start off thinking about Ikea as their worktops are quite sleek but still cheap. But aren't they 5cm or so deeper than norm? We can't afford to lose any space in what is a narrow(ish) galley.
  • My whole kitchen inc cooker/hob/sink/extractor fan. With fitting, plumbing and minor electrical works was £3872. 2 corner units, 2 base unit & 2 wall units, tiles, worktops.

All IKEA except the tiles. Very happy with it!
  • Zandy_23
    Options
    You gotta compare quality and prices online. Google is your friend and so as ebay and other online stores. There are some kitchenwares that are as good but not as expensive.
  • beedeedee
    Options
    Rather than wall tiles, which are labour intensive, use acrylic splashbacks.
    Measure carefully and get them cut to size. Easy to glue onto wall yourself and cheap too.
  • chezybezy
    chezybezy Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 February 2018 at 4:09PM
    Options
    Have you considered painting any tilting? The newer stuff is quite good. I recently moved into a new house, and the tiles were terrible, after much research I tried the b&q v3 (something) tile paint, and it is brilliant! Just remember to keep mixing and that it is useable for 10 days, so prep before hand.oh also think of 3 coats, 24hrs apart, maybe 4 depending. Its worth it. Light strokes if using a brush, or correct roller (check reviews as they mention a different type, which I can't recall). Oh and it does go a long way, one large tub did kitchen, fireplace and shower cubicle (I can't comment on longevity for shower yet!) And still have a little left over, I was that impressed I even decided to give their cupboard paint a go, will let you know how it turns out.
    - Chez
  • Pdbaggett
    Options
    Yup easy to do but you have to do the work your self sadly. I just did mine total refit, floor tiles up and replaces with laminate through entire house. Tiles removes and replaces with acrylic gloss splash back as someone above posted which I think looks nicer anyway. Carcass of units I painted as most of it is hidden anyway and it turns out great ordered new gloss doors off eBay. Sink, taps, worktop, legs, push button openings for cupboards and anything else like that came from eBay.

Like I said if you do it all your self its easily done, depends If you can or not though
  • Nicfaz92
    Options
    This may not one bit be helpful but depending on your cupboard doors could you possibly "wrap" them?

I haven't tried this myself although have considered it as a short term cheap fix for a new look to the kitchen (currently our doors are an, in my opinion, awful orange colour) I was considering a high gloss black self-adhesive film (less worry in getting it straight than if I chose wood effect etc)

I THINK you just remove the cupboard door & handles, apply the self-adhesive film, reapply the handles and the door back onto the cupboard.

Although I do question how this might look once the cupboard door is open? I may be able to live with this if I could improve the look of my kitchen cupboards for around £40

So as I say I haven't tried this myself although it is something I'm toying with as a temporary measure so I thought I would suggest i to you

Also my worktops are fine so I would not need to consider changing these, but depending why you are changing yours I have seen someone cover their worktops with a white marble effect that looked lovely, although I don't know how well this maintains? E.g. scratches/peeling etc but just another suggestion
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    No they're not. I have been installing them in my properties for 15 years now, they are as good as you can get for the price. I have 1 over 14 years old and a couple over 10. They hold up as good as anything Howdens or Wickes can sell you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure