PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

renting and deposits

Options
124»

Comments

• diane***
    diane*** Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 February 2018 at 4:33PM
    Options
    when the landlord issued the end of contract he did it because there was no other way in law to get the drug user out.
    every other tenant obeyed the rules.

seems that the landlord was wrong, every reasonable tenant left. the abuser remains.

why can't the landlord advertise the other rooms? granted some people wouldn't rent but some could be suckered into it . As you say it's buyer beware.

now you're saying they should have remained living with the abuser?

would you stay with your abuser? yes he was reported to the police and remained in the house with his victims....continuing stealing their food and throwing their stuff out into the road as he liked.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    diane*** wrote: »
    when the landlord issued the end of contract he did it because there was no other way in law to get the drug user out.
    every other tenant obeyed the rules.

would you stay with your abuser? yes he was reported to the police and remained in the house with his victims.

A s.21 notice does not end a tenancy.

He's not an abuser, being abusive is not the same thing!

You haven't answered what action the police actually took...
  • diane***
    edited 14 February 2018 at 4:50PM
    Options
    someone who repeats an action he has been asked to stop for the pure pleasure of causing some one else harm is an abuser.
    would you live with it? could you live with it? it's your home , where you go to be safe.

I thought CAB because the guidance they will give will be unemotional and clear, it look as if this is a court matter and if you have never been having some person to person advice will be reassuring.

each individual is coping alone , they have all gone separate ways, some will need reassurance and help more than others.

oh police.....none he still there, I don't actually know if they did anything but have a chat/warning. My son has an email from him admitting he took from the other tenants, but he was in need! my son has not given this to the police only the landlord.

the only thing to do is for me to advise my son to go to CAB, he is not near me, I will tell him that he is half way down on a short rope and i'll help him, lets hope the others have resources.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    someone who repeats an action he has been asked to stop for the pure pleasure of causing some one else harm is an abuser.
    would you live with it? could you live with it? it's your home , where you go to be safe. - yes I'd be fine. But then I'm capable of controlling my emotions and not letting a bad housemate drag me down.

I thought CAB because the guidance they will give will be unemotional and clear, it look as if this is a court matter and if you have never been having some person to person advice will be reassuring. - CAB wont be there in court to help though.

each individual is coping alone , they have all gone separate ways, some will need reassurance and help more than others.

none he still there, I don't actually know if they did anything but have a chat.

the only thing to do is for me to advise my son to go to CAB, he is not near me, I will tell him that he is half way down on a short rope and i'll help him, lets hope the others have resources.
    Or direct him to this thread?
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options

If they were old enough to sign a tenancy agreement, they are old enough to live in the world as it really is.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    when the landlord issued the end of contract he did it because there was no other way in law to get the drug user out. - ofcourse, the LL has to serve notice and go through court to evict a lawful tenant.
    every other tenant obeyed the rules. - good, no prizes for that.

seems that the landlord was wrong, every reasonable tenant left. the abuser remains. - the notice doesn't end a tenancy, it's NOT reasonable to expect to not pay rent when the tenancy has not ended and vacant possession hasn't been given of the whole property. The 'abuser' remains per his right. Its all tenants' responsibility to ensure the property is fully vacated and tenancy ended or continue paying rent. Your son has failed in this responsibility.

why can't the landlord advertise the other rooms? granted some people wouldn't rent but some could be suckered into it . As you say it's buyer beware. What don't you get about having a tenancy for the WHOLE PROPERTY? The LL cannot enter let alone use the property as his own / for other tenants because son and his housemates have a LEGAL TENANCY FOR THE WHOLE PROPERTY. If the LL used the property, that would be illegal eviction.

would you stay with your abuser? yes he was reported to the police and remained in the house with his victims....continuing stealing their food and throwing their stuff out into the road as he liked. Yes. He can't have been that bad as the other tenants didn't take any action to get away from the 'abuser' until the LL served notice to begin the process of ending the tenancy.

Son and his housemates have a legal tenancy. They owe rent until the LATTER of
    a) date all tenants have vacated; AND
    b) date the tenancy legally ends (by court order / mutual surrender / tenant notice)

That is the law because that is what son agreed to.
  • diane***
    edited 14 February 2018 at 8:12PM
    Options
    they thought by letting the landlord know the troubles he'd sort it out.
    seems the landlord hadn't any teeth as long as he paid the rent, the landlord advised them to go to the police. It's all he could do for them.

we're lucky he stopped paying, I guess he couldn't afford his life style and rent with the house empty.

well thanks for the info, I have directed my son to this site, that s21 order was served and eviction proceeding begun, so hopefully this won't run on too long for all concerned.
    seems just losing the deposit will be a good outcome.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    Landlords are just that; not Housemasters, unfortunately. If I had my way, I would make LLs legally responsible for their god-awful tenants' behaviour but that is more within the council/housing association field of renting, not the real world.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure