Barnstaple area visiting suggestions, anyone?

Options
2»

Comments

• judy2357
    judy2357 Posts: 3,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Alan_Cross wrote: »
    Have thrown a dart at the map and we're off to Barnstaple in a couple of weeks for a weekend break.

We're totally unfamiliar with the area but would appreciate any suggestions for places of interest to visit, particularly indoorsy-type venues given possible end-Feb weather!

A couple in 60's, no kids (thank God!).

Any ideas, very grateful.

Minehead, Ilfracombe, Lynton and Lynmouth. My favourite is Torbay, a little further away but worth the trip, Torquay, Paignton, Goodrington and Brixham. We live in Cornwall but regularly visit Torbay, theres also Cockington, Babbacombe oh an the caves at Kents Cavern, so much to see in that area.
    2008£3002009£13002010£15002011£41952012£21942013£1494
    2014£24402015£10222016JAN£20FEB£210MAR£80APR£26tMAYWillowPouchBag£65BathPillowCrCardcover,Curry
    JUN£10m'shakeJULpennywellAUGCameraFootproducts£27SEPMiniBBQOCTB'let£45Jarm£4Jacket£80GoodyBag£40NOVmealfor2Ace,ScarfTotes£100DECChocs,AsterixDVD,DVD&bk

• theonlywayisup
    Options
    judy2357 wrote: »
    Minehead, Ilfracombe, Lynton and Lynmouth. My favourite is Torbay, a little further away but worth the trip, Torquay, Paignton, Goodrington and Brixham. We live in Cornwall but regularly visit Torbay, theres also Cockington, Babbacombe oh an the caves at Kents Cavern, so much to see in that area.

"a little further".....Barnstaple to Brixham is a two hour drive on a good day, 4 hours in the car on a round trip.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Alan_Cross wrote: »
    particularly indoorsy-type venues given possible end-Feb weather!

1hr 30mins from you is Trago Mills in Newton Abbott.

A 2 hours drive each way isn't a biggie when you're on holiday. If you're an early riser, then most places don't open until 10am which gives plenty of time for breakfast and a nice drive. Plus you will be on holiday so unlikely to have work the next day.
    The man without a signature.
  • colcheslad
    Options
    If you want indoors there's the Eden Project, I reckon about 1hr 40mins if you don't mind the drive - rather nice in the colder months as you can enjoy the tropical heat inside!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi OP

I hope all these suggestions are helpful, let us know how you get on.

Another helpful tip. If you are driving down the M5, Sainsbury's at Junction 25 (Taunton) is selling petrol at a staggering 27 p a litre less than the motorway.
  • Taplledraw
    Options
    Near Woolacombe is a lovely little beach made up of shells and if you carry on out to Morthoe there is a small but lovely museum there the church is also worth a look around, check opening times before you go. In Barnstaple there is a bookshop on the corner by the big bridge its run for Charity and is worth a look round if you are book inclined. They also have a museum in the square which is good. The pannier market has different things in it on different days I liked the herb man!
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 26 February 2018 at 3:19AM
    Options
    vikingaero wrote: »
    You're not a million miles from Porlock Weir or Lynmouth and the Cliff Railway.

Last time we were in that direction we had a fantastic time exploring the Hartland area that we missed out on Clovelly. As we had membership it was a nice drive down to Tintagel Castle.

We went to Tintagel today. It was a bit disappointing. Apart from the castle which you need to be super fit for, there was nothing much to do. Most of the shops were closed and there were only 2 cafes open.

To add insult to injury, you had to pay 20p to use the loo:(

We went to Boscastle instead which is one of my favourite places;) and the weather was glorious
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MrAPJI wrote: »
    The quaint village of Appledore is worth a visit if the sun shines. You also may be interested in a visit to Dartington Glass in Torrington https://www.dartington.co.uk/visit-us/visitor-centre.

The Appledore musuem and schoolhouse is a must if you visit the village.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • sillyvixen
    Options
    vikingaero wrote: »
    You're not a million miles from Porlock Weir or Lynmouth and the Cliff Railway.

Last time we were in that direction we had a fantastic time exploring the Hartland area that we missed out on Clovelly. As we had membership it was a nice drive down to Tintagel Castle.

Linton and lynmouth is a good day out .. I had been before as a child .. hubby never been before .. we both loved it, the cliff railway is a boon take it both ways or walk down and take it up.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • sillyvixen
    Options
    We also enjoyed ilfracome aquarium - much bigger than it looks from the outside. Near the verity statue by Damian Hurst (love it or hate it it is worth a glance), looks better from the lighthouse chaple on the hill (free) and the best way of photographing verity.
    If the weather is good and you want a beach day woolacombe is good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure