Mercedes A Class

Options
Currently looking at a new Mercedes A Class (current, rather than forthcoming model) and have a couple of questions:

1. Looking at either the A160 or A180 (both petrol) and understand that they have the same engine, but presumably the mapping on the A180 is slightly different, to increase power etc. I would worry that the A160 might be a bit underpowered, but does anyone have any experience of which would be best?
2. It needs to have an automatic gearbox, which I understand is a double clutch affair. What is the DCT automatic gearbox in the A Class like for town driving and short journeys (haven't been for a test drive yet, just trying to determine whether the A Class would be better than other makes/models etc)? Is there any reason to avoid this type of automatic gearbox?
3. What would be a good target price on an A160 or A180 AMG Line with Premium Pack? Looking at some of the brokers at the moment and whilst it's coming out with close to a 15% discount, does that sound reasonable? The RRP on something like Carwow is almost £1k higher than on the Mercedes website, but it seems that Mercedes exclude Road Fund Licence, Delivery etc - presumably this is included in the Carwow price?

Many thanks for your help.
Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j

Comments

• Aletank
    Aletank Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    Thanks Aletank.

The problem with Drivethedeal at the moment seems to be that it is impossible to customise an A Class I.e. you just have to accept one of the particular models and specs which they have in stock/near stock.

Accordingly, I can find an automatic with premium pack in white, but agree that the discounts on there are pretty good.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Havent checked prices but try https://www.broadspeed.com

Also drivethedeal also allow you to spec the car you want, however the very best discounts are the ones on "Special Offer" that dealers are wanting to dispose of
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    Thanks motorguy,

Not sure if i’m Missing something on the drivethedeal website, as the A class seems to be missing from the list of cars to spec? All other models seem to be there though.

I’ve tried broadspeed but they seem a little more expensive than carwow.

Anyone have any thoughts on my other two questions as well? Any help much appreciated!:)
  • Aletank
    edited 11 February 2018 at 2:27PM
    Options
    If the new model is coming out, they have probably stopped production of the current model maybe ? So your choice maybe limited to what's available.
    I believe the time frame for the new model is -
    • Start of Feb - Launch to press etc
    • March - Public release, motor shows/dealers
    • June - 1st customer deliveries
    https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums is your best place for Mercedes info, gearbox etc
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    Thanks, hadn!!!8217;t actually thought about production having ceased already so that!!!8217;s a good point.

I!!!8217;ll also post my questions over on the mbclub website, but thanks all for your help.
  • Aletank
    Options
    I bet production has stopped, lines changed over and the ramp up of the new model has started
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone have any thoughts on my other two questions as well? Any help much appreciated!:)

1) I'd go with the A180 - they're not exactly a very light car, so the extra bit of power would be useful over the A160s 100BHP
    2) Mercedes auto boxes are usually very good. We've an auto A45 and love it.
  • IanMSpencer
    Options
    The stalk change is nice and easy. The clutch judder was just about noticeable compared with a proper auto, and the lack of creep were what I noticed going from a C class to the A class. I found the A class slightly claustrophobic compared with the previous model C class - I don't really like the fashion for small rear windows and the high bonnet. A180 plenty powerful for normal driving.

The main warning on a dual clutch is that you need to remember it is a clutch and if you are in traffic, resist the urge to creep along or use the clutch to hold on a hill. In a good old auto, creeping is a good thing, in a dual clutch it could kill the clutch, just as in a manual. This isn't well understood and some premature failures may be due to driving a dual clutch as an auto.
  • Money_Grabber13579
    Money_Grabber13579 Posts: 4,272 Forumite
    Newshound! Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 February 2018 at 11:01PM
    Options
    Thanks Ian,

When when you say creeping could kill the clutch, do you mean that with a dct box, you should always put it in park at traffic lights, on a hill etc, rather than have your foot on the brakes?

I’ve only ever been used to a ‘proper’ automatic, which I believe is common in BMW’s but have heard horror stories with DCT boxes. I guess i’m Just trying to work out whether that is likely to cause an issue before purchasing!

The other thing i’m struggling to work out is how to tell which type of auto box a car has. The options have been narrowed down to (other than the A class) a BMW 1 series (which I presume is a proper automatic?), a Mini Cooper or an Audi A1. Are these DCT boxes or proper automatics?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport