"Your password has expired" ..........

Options

Comments

• Silver_Shark
    Options
    Mine was 464 days and I just changed my password to the one I always use.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just made mine exactly the same as it was before. A total pointless exercise.
  • MrsShazbat
    Options
    Mine was 2485 days or thereabouts. I'm the world's worst for having the same passwords/PIN numbers for everything so it's now just a variation on my original one.
    SPCNo.17 #20 (16 £678; 15 £1120.92; 14 £416.53; 13 £191.52; 12 £260.48; 11 £480.95; 10 £682.31; 9 £442.64)
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine was 2000-odd. My old password was too short, but that's because its still in my "old scheme" as it were - accounts which I don't have security worries about. Accounts which need higher security have more difficult passwords.

https://howsecureismypassword.net/ will give you an idea how long a computer program would take to hack your password. My new MSE one sits at 42 years.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Mine was at 5225 days. I tacked a 1 on the end.
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine was 4157 days old :( One of the oldest passwords I have, I'd grown fond of it. Couldn't re-use as it was too old

Bit random to suddenly start making people use new passwords after 11 years. Has there been a hacking attempt?
    poppy10
  • bewildered1
    Options
    My last one was 227 days old or something like that. This one was just 5 days old. I shouldn't have to change my password after just 5 days.

It does make you wonder if someone is doing some phishing but as you can't get on the site without updating your password there's no way to tell. Unless of course it is a phishing scam in which case it's too late because you had to type in both your old and new password. This is entirely possible as the site isn't secure. Why isn't https standard on a site like this?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    4ieijo.jpg

Five days???
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So, having been asked five days ago to change the password, five days later I have been prompted to change it again. I am not going to be happy if the password has got to be changed every few days. That is utterly absurd.

Forcing people to change passwords on a regular or frequent basis has been shown time and time again to end up with people using easier to guess passwords (often just a simple variant of the old one) and thereby reduces security - surely the exact opposite of what was intended?
  • beornoth
    Options
    same here !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills