Non-fatal electrocution compensation

Options

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    If the earthing was all correct and in good condition then it shouldn't be possible but this isn't always the case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1198470/Young-mother-electrocuted-live-tap-ran-bath-familys-new-home.html
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the earthing was all correct and in good condition then it shouldn't be possible but this isn't always the case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1198470/Young-mother-electrocuted-live-tap-ran-bath-familys-new-home.html

But is that not the responsibility of the house owner not UK Power?
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2018 at 10:16AM
    Options
    Im guessing the consumer unit in the house was very old or badly maintained (no RCBs, fuses/fuse wire replaced by foil, nails etc) , im also guessing the damage caused the earth to become live.

Having read the electrics were checked in 2016, im guessing the hedge was put in after that.
  • jude_pmc
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I'll get in touch with her and find out more specific details.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The compo generation.....
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • jude_pmc
    jude_pmc Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I am coming to the conclusion that I shouldn’t suggest she asks for more compensation. But here are a few details.
    June 2016. Electrics thoroughly checked, including replacing fuse box.
    Summer 2017 shocks start (assumed not to be the electrics because they had all been checked so recently)
    Cable damage (she thinks she was told it created ‘reverse polarity’). UK Power Network said never been seen before, Old cable but they could only suggest it was the boundary hedge roots (the long established hedge was in place when the bungalow was bought).
    So it is this just an act of God that could happen to anyone?
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Options
    jude_pmc wrote: »
    Summer 2017 shocks start (assumed not to be the electrics because they had all been checked so recently)
    It was pretty illogical to assume that electric shocks had nothing to do with the electrical installation regardless of how recently it had been checked. How did that make sense to anyone?
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    Over to those who know because building is my game and not electrics but I am fascinated to get feedback ...

I live in a location where it is known - to those who need to know - that the main cables are all suspect. I have heard pop. pop, pop, many times at intervals inside my home. This means that at some future point - could be hours, could be days, the mains cable will break apart within a footpath within a hundred metres or so.

Other times the lights will be flickering, possibly for hours, whilst one waits for the inevitable. I am guessing this comes with power surges, but nothings trips.

It seems the mains cables cannot cope with any pressure being exerted on them. After failure, the excavations reveal a house brick, or piece of rubble, or simply the edge of a piece of type 1 roadstone has been pressing on the cable gradually, sometimes for 30 years before it fails. The most recent was simply the weight of vehicles going across the footpath crossover. Why? Because the adjacent home had just been sold and a removal truck had been in and out - enough extra pressure to blow the cable.

I know there should be sand bedding and protection, or rock dust but it does not happen. Even with every repair type 1 gets fired in without any prior protection. So perhaps one has to blame decades of incompetent, indifferent, contractors with a vested interest in more failures. But equally the power company is guilty - there is zero inspection, zero interest, and total indifference.

All this means tree roots could cause significant problems. No idea how this is linked to shocks though. But then maybe all our homes are better wired and protected. OP talking about a fusebox may be a pointer here - are the electrics on the home ancient or obsolete?
  • tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Options
    Im not a spark, but I have never heard of negative polarity on AC current, I thought the polarity switched constantly hence alternating current (AC).
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    Options
    tonyh66 wrote: »
    Im not a spark, but I have never heard of negative polarity on AC current, I thought the polarity switched constantly hence alternating current (AC).

Polarity does come into AC as well. The phase (line) conductor is at a potential of 230V relative to Earth/neutral (and 400V to other phases), and neutral has a potential of 0V with respect to Earth as it is Earthed. Fuses and single pole devices must only be connected to the phase conductor(s).

So reverse polarity is a dangerous situation.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills