Is Turkey Safe

Options
There are areas in Turkey not safe to travel to esp borders with Syria,

But what more common tourist destinations like Istanbul, Antalya, Alanya or west Turkey or south west?

Turkey is in Europe so is the rules the same? I dont understand about needing a visa
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Here is a link to our government's official travel advice for Turkey:
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey
  • rafhelp
    rafhelp Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i already saw that i wanted to see if it was accurate to real people as in have people gone recently with any issues?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,722 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Thousands of people holiday in Turkey without any issues at all.
    If you're asking someone to guarantee there will be no terrorist activity where you are, that would be impossible.

If you need a visa, then you need one. I'm not sure why you don't understand about needing one.
    Turkey is not part of the EU if that's what you mean.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Part of Turkey is in Europe but it's not in the EU yet

There's always been fighting along the Syria border, never stopped me from going, the resorts you are looking at are at the different end of the country - hours away

You need to apply for a visa online
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 February 2018 at 1:14AM
    Options
    Geographically only the area of Turkey west of the Bosphorus is in Europe. Turkey is not an EU member and hopefully never will be.

There must have been something unsafe in a town on the Black Sea coast the night we were picked up by the police and thrown in the lockup. My Iranian friend, on his way home from Oxford uni, and I were hitchhiking east, completely penniless, and looking around for a place to doss for the night. The cell was warm and dry, if a little hard. They threw us out in the morning and I guess we appreciated their protection. But this was fifty years ago, if you'll excuse the lack of relevance.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 February 2018 at 6:52PM
    Options
    I dont understand about needing a visa
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey/entry-requirements

Make sure you apply through the official website - https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Third parties will charge a fee for what is DIY.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,582 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, the visa is a way for the Turkish govt to make money from the tourists! Simple as that.... lots of other countries do exactly the same thing.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 February 2018 at 7:01AM
    Options
    Me and the cook are flying to Antalya this Friday, having a lazy 2 weeks AI at the Sentido Perissia in Side.

Got our e-visas online a couple of weeks ago @ US$ 20 each. Only problem I had was that for some reason I kept getting my btinternet e-mail address rejected bbhy the Turkish MFA website, and had to create a gmail account. Apparently that problem happens a lot.

I haven't got any personal security worries, the weather forecast looks settled and warm.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    It's a very subjective view.

But you've probably got more chance of being killed by an earthquake in Turkey than by nasty people.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a very subjective view.

But you've probably got more chance of being killed by an earthquake in Turkey than by nasty people.

Sleep out in the fresh air, or under a table:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure