IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Ban Judge Rinder

Options
2»

Comments

• pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 February 2018 at 7:48PM
    Options
    I had one small claims hearing that was in a full-on massive wood-panelled room, judge behind lectern, that kind of thing. Claimant and Defendant in the 'gallery' below just like you see it on TV.

Others were just round a table.

I think it just depends what's on at the court and what space happens to be available.

I was winding up my wife about the hearing we have coming up next week (she's Defendant and I'm lay rep) by saying there's going to be a jury and she should pack a toothbrush and pyjamas in case things don't go so well.

I think"pack a toothbrush" HAS been said by a judge in one case , however it was not to the defendant

someone might recall it and link to it

edit , link suplied

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=16231
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

I was winding up my wife about the hearing we have coming up next week (she's Defendant and I'm lay rep) by saying there's going to be a jury and she should pack a toothbrush and pyjamas in case things don't go so well.

HAHA ...... don't mention the stale bread and water will you
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ahh , dont mention lunch at Greggs?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    This programme gives a totally false, and somewhat intimidating, impression of the small claims court.

All the courtrooms I have been in comprise a table and chairs. around which both sides and the judge sit and thrash the matter out. A bit like a PATAS adjudication. .

No flags, dock, lecterns, gowns, ushers, shouty Dancing Queens, just a shrivelled retired solicitor in a bad suit.

Is it any wonder that the timid Timothys and doddering Delias who come here are so in awe of them

Rinder had a small horse in court today and was talking to him

Guess it must be similar in the CC where a judge finds
    he is talking to donkeys about their claims
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    This programme gives a totally false, and somewhat intimidating, impression of the small claims court.

Next you'll be complaining that Rob Rinder isn't even a real judge! :rotfl:

In fairness, opinion IS divided in the profession - see here for example: https://www.legalcheek.com/2018/01/qc-launches-scathing-attack-on-judge-rinder-for-denigrating-the-law/ but most agree it's harmless fun...

When the credits roll at the start, you'll also see the disclaimer that it's not a Court at all and that the parties have agreed to mediate the settlement. There's a lot to be said for reading small print...

And on a final point. Only auctioneers use gavels. The Courts really don't...
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    I think"pack a toothbrush" HAS been said by a judge in one case , however it was not to the defendant

someone might recall it and link to it
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=16231)
    fisherjim wrote: »
    Yes I agree, but TD is probably right, some people believe Walford exists, and the huge city of Holby including it's international airport, two main hospitals, port, and seafront etc are real!
    Or Corrie’s Weatherfield A&E, High Dependency and Infirmary, the Weatherfield Gazette, Weatherfield FC, Weatherfield Crown Court, Weatherfield Prison ........ need I go on? We’ve yet to see a Weatherfield ANPR car park infested by one of our favourites - but there’s still a few months left until Sir Greg Knight kills them off! :D
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    ITV pay out rather than the so called defendants. A cheeky pair found this out and successfully got £5000 over a made up case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure