🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Claiming JSA

Options
Hi

My employer terminated my employment on Monday, i was reading about JSA today and it says that if you've been dismissed from your job different rules apply and you may not get JSA for upto 26 weeks.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If you left your job without good cause they can sanction you for between 2 and 26 weeks. They will want to know about the circumstances from yourself and your employer and make a decision based on this. If you do not agree with the decision you can appeal against it to an independent tribunal. Depending on your circimstances you may be able to claim Hardship Payments which are at a reduced rate.
  • vicki_b
    vicki_b Posts: 306 Forumite
    Options
    we are just waiting on the results of a jsa sanction as my partner left his job to move 50 miles away. if it wasnt your fault then i doubt they could sanction you but i wouldnt put it past them to try! why did you get dismissed?
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    If you have got dismissed, you may have the right to appeal, or is there a case for unfair dismissal, ?

If it was mearly at the end of a contract say you only contracted for 18mths, then there should be no problem with jsa, its more for those people who suddendly decide they dont like there job and think they would be better off on benefits, so when somebody geunine tries to make a claim, then you have to go through all the inns and outs.
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family