IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Letter of Claim received (BW Legal) - help please!

Options
13»

Comments

• chica0208
    chica0208 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks - do you have a link to that maybe? I'm hoping you're definitely right, of course! But just wondering how a VRN alone is personal data if it doesn't actually link to a person (e.g. they haven't accidentally provided me with another person's name, just photos of their car) - why is this any different from me just popping outside now and photographing somebody else's car on the street? Does that make sense? If it doesn't actually tell me WHOSE car it is? Sorry, not trying to question your advice at all, just want to clarify before we rush in all guns blazing! Thanks so much in advance :-)
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    chica0208 wrote: »
    Thanks - do you have a link to that maybe? I'm hoping you're definitely right, of course
    Paragraph 6:-
    https://ico.org.uk/media/about-the-ico/consultation-responses/2015/1431796/ico-response-to-dclg-parking-reform-consultation.pdf
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    But just wondering how a VRN alone is personal data if it doesn't actually link to a person (e.g. they haven't accidentally provided me with another person's name, just photos of their car) - why is this any different from me just popping outside now and photographing somebody else's car on the street?

Because a 'data controller' has shared it with a third party, without due diligence. Negligently.

A person in the street looking at cars, is not a data controller. A solicitor/parking firm, ARE.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure