PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Really healthy eating on a budget

Options

Comments

• JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's a point. Soil is wrong for carrots anyhow here.
    But I like growing potatoes. My grandad was a potato farmer so I think it's in my genes. Herbs will be good. And I bet there is a seed swap. It's that kind of place.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think your budget it really good tbh

With the salads, defo think outside the box. Cabbage is versatile , can be used in a salad as well as cooked. I don't like veg tbh so I have to think outside the box a lot. It's salad tonight, the only traditional salad veg on my plate will be a beetroot. I'll make a slaw with the cabbage and carrots in the fridge, I'll chuck in some nuts, dried fruit, use some pickled walnuts, olives, roasted red peppers. It's salad is as much as I've not cooked anything :)

Don't forget, sweet potatoes are a vegetable, not a potato :)

Tinned tomatoes, I have down graded and buy the cheapest. That because I like really punchy flavours and the tomatoes are really only the sauce base so it don't matter if they are wishy washy. If I was eating them as they are, I'd go up the grade
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Jenny

It’s a challenge isnt it? Ive started making my own yoghurt using the slow cooker as the Bio stuff is expensive. I was buying Bircher museli and mixing it with oats but when I’ve used up what I’ve got I think I’ll just have oats and mix in some seeds. I top it with yoghurt and half a chopped apple or banana. I think that’s cheaper than even frozen fruit (unless it’s foraged blackberries!)
    weaving through the chaos...
  • Lizabeth21
    Options
    Stock is really easy to make yourself - you control what’s in it.
    I second the suggestion of veg and lentils -as soup or thicker as a casserole.
    You can also add spices from your cupboard to make the veg and lentils into curry or chilli.
    Veg is not that expensive if you try the non big name supermarkets- there are some good deals to be had.
    Rather than buying particular gluten free opt for things that are naturally gluten free.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,583 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I know you said you don't like porridge but I see you do overnight oats so obviously you can eat them like that. Have you tried baked oats - much nicer than overnight oats, IMO and much more filling too.

Mix oats with a little sugar (optional); an egg & some yoghurt. Cook in oven for about 30 minutes at 200 degrees. I make them in muffin tins. You can also add flavourings if you want. My favourite flavouring is almond and then top the muffins with some flaked almonds before cooking. I add some chopped or frozen fruit and yoghurt on the side to have with it.

Denise
  • JennyP
    Options
    phizzimum wrote: »
    Hi Jenny

It’s a challenge isnt it? Ive started making my own yoghurt using the slow cooker as the Bio stuff is expensive. I was buying Bircher museli and mixing it with oats but when I’ve used up what I’ve got I think I’ll just have oats and mix in some seeds. I top it with yoghurt and half a chopped apple or banana. I think that’s cheaper than even frozen fruit (unless it’s foraged blackberries!)

You can make yoghurt in the slow cooker?
    Wish i 'd known. I bought an easiyo. It was half price though.
  • JennyP
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    I think your budget it really good tbh

Thank you. I didn't feel I was. I was unfavourably comparing myself to all the £1 a day people!
  • JennyP
    Options
    I do find a lot of healthy eating books make you spend a fortune on odd ingredients. I got Deliciously Ella a few years ago and bought stuff I would never normally eat then ended up wasting it when I didn't like the foods. Even Michael Mosley's books, if you look at the recipe plan, has you buying an awful lot of stuff that then won't get used up.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    JennyP wrote: »
    Thank you. I didn't feel I was. I was unfavourably comparing myself to all the £1 a day people!

The thing with the £1 a day, is they usually depend on yellow sticker, or heavily processed items,I used to follow some budget slowcooker groups but most of the recipes where based on tin soups or processed sauces which is what kept them cheap, if you tried to replicate with homemade alternatives you soon broke the budget.
    Find your happy medium, life is to short to drink bad wine :rotfl:
  • JennyP
    edited 7 February 2018 at 5:54PM
    Options
    QUOTE=tori.k;73845582]The thing with the £1 a day, is they usually depend on yellow sticker, or heavily processed items,I used to follow some budget slowcooker groups but most of the recipes where based on tin soups or processed sauces which is what kept them cheap, if you tried to replicate with homemade alternatives you soon broke the budget.
    Find your happy medium, life is to short to drink bad wine :rotfl:[/QUOTE]

Thank you for saying that. I think I was feeling like a failure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure