I want to know if this is considered benefit fraud

Options
I have a non-British friend who's been living in the UK for 20+ years and claims income support, disability benefits, housing benefits and has even secured a permanent property (two floor house) from the local council.

However, they also happen to have an offshore (Dubai) account with a balance of 200k+ euros which remains undeclared to the (British) authorities and earns no interest and the money wasn't earned inside the UK.

Also, they've been using all that money (from their offshore account) to pay for some kind of media company because they (my friend) own and run a TV network in the UK but the network isn't based in the UK and doesn't even legally exist there, instead it's based in Dubai but airs from the UK through the internet (I'm not sure how they do it!).

1 - Are they (my friend) committing benefit fraud by claiming all these benefits when they have an offshore account with hundreds of euros in it?

2 - On a side note is airing from the UK when your media company/network is based somewhere else a crime? Again sorry if this is irreverent to money and benefits but it's related to everything else my friend is doing.

2 - If so, what's gonna happen if the authorities find out? What are the charges? Also who do I contact if I want to report them?

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    Options
    John_Pots wrote: »
    I have a non-British friend who's been living in the UK for 20+ years and claims income support, disability benefits, housing benefits and has even secured a permanent property (two floor house) from the local council.

However, they also happen to have an offshore (Dubai) account with a balance of 200k+ euros which remains undeclared to the (British) authorities and earns no interest and the money wasn't earned inside the UK.

Also, they've been using all that money (from their offshore account) to pay for some kind of media company because they (my friend) own and run a TV network in the UK but the network isn't based in the UK and doesn't even legally exist there, instead it's based in Dubai but airs from the UK through the internet (I'm not sure how they do it!).

1 - Are they (my friend) committing benefit fraud by claiming all these benefits when they have an offshore account with hundreds of euros in it?

2 - On a side note is airing from the UK when your media company/network is based somewhere else a crime? Again sorry if this is irreverent to money and benefits but it's related to everything else my friend is doing.

2 - If so, what's gonna happen if the authorities find out? What are the charges? Also who do I contact if I want to report them?

When first claiming income related benefits, you are asked about any accounts that you have. Having such a large amount would automatically exclude him from being able to claim most benefits (DLA/PIP are not means tested, and having a council house is not relevant as this is not based on income).

Any changes must also be reported, so if the money has been acquired since he first claimed, he should have informed the relevant departments.

Also, I am not sure from your post why he would be entitled to income support, as this is usually paid to carers with no other household income (apart from Carer's Allowance) or single parents with a child under five. I believe that many years ago, IS was paid to some people with disabilities, but as far as I am aware, this stopped many years ago and claimants were transferred to other benefits.

Are you sure that you ahve your facts right? How do you know so much about whta your friend is claiming?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

Re the bit in bold - what do you think is the answer?
  • bspm
    bspm Posts: 541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Let me think....you have a friend who has 200k in a bank account and are asking if they are committing fraud by claiming income related benefits....use your common sense for goodness sake and don't waste peoples time on a board that offers excellent advice to people who actually need it.
  • John_Pots
    Options
    Sorry guys but I just wanted to be sure. Better "waste" forum time than the authorities' lol!

I know about their financial stuff because I've seen the documents (lots of 'em anyway). They've had the offshore account since 2010.

So am I to understand that non-means-tested benefits aren't affected when you have offshore accounts with a balance that high?
  • John_Pots
    Options
    Well, maybe not income support but they're getting a lot of money because they're disabled. Sorry again if I'm being rather unspecific.
  • Prinzessilein
    Options
    If I were the OP, I would do nothing!.....

You clearly don't know exactly which benefits your 'friend' is on, so it is not really a good idea to report him.

As for the disability benefits, it depends what he is on...PIP (Personal Independence Payments ....which is taking over from DLA - Disability Living Allowance) is the main disability benefit, and is non means-tested...you can be a millionaire and still claim this.
  • John_Pots
    John_Pots Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2018 at 10:42AM
    Options
    PIP (Personal Independence Payments ....which is taking over from DLA - Disability Living Allowance) is the main disability benefit, and is non means-tested...you can be a millionaire and still claim this.

Ah okay that was useful thanks.

But what about my second question:

I know it's not benefit/money related but I really need to know because, again, that's what the offshore account's for. Thanks a lot in advance and my sincere apologies for wasting your time.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Short answer is - it certainly looks like it!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Sorry guys but I just wanted to be sure. Better "waste" forum time than the authorities' lol!

I know about their financial stuff because I've seen the documents (lots of 'em anyway). They've had the offshore account since 2010.

So am I to understand that non-means-tested benefits aren't affected when you have offshore accounts with a balance that high?
    This is the definition of means-tested benefits from a benefit-checker website:
    Means-tested benefits

Some benefits are means-tested. In other words, the amount of income and capital you have can affect your eligibility. Means-tested benefits are available to people who can demonstrate that their income and capital are below a certain level. The means-tested benefits are;
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income Support
    • Pension Credit
    • Tax Credits (Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit)
    • Housing Benefit
    • Council Tax Support
    • Social Fund (Sure Start Maternity Grant, Funeral Payment,Cold Weather Payment)
    • Universal Credit

Your means (income, savings and other capital) will be looked at to see if they are low enough for you to qualify.

If your means are greater than your needs (the amount the government estimates you need to live on), the benefit is reduced or may not be paid at all, so the amount you are entitled to can vary from one person to another.

You can get these benefits even if you have not paid enough national insurance contributions.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/jargon-buster/Means-tested-benefits
    Therefore 'non means-tested' benefits is the opposite.
    Well, maybe not income support but they're getting a lot of money because they're disabled. Sorry again if I'm being rather unspecific.
    Ha-Ha!
    Now we have a totally different kettle of fish!

As you're reluctant to be more specific, perhaps you could do your own search as to whether the specific benefit your 'friend' is receiving is means-tested or not.
  • John_Pots
    Options
    Gotcha! Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills