MSE News: Just 80 of the UK's 8m+ smart meters...

Options
All but 80 of the millions of smart meters so far installed in the UK are still first-generation meters which are likely to lose their 'smart' functionality if you switch energy provider, new figures reveal...
Read the full story:
'Just 80 of the UK's 8m+ smart meters guaranteed to stay smart if you switch'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    .....are we surprised ?? I think not:rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    80!
    80 working SMETS2 smart meters out of 8 million installed.
    !!!!!!.
    And Capita is being paid £350m per annum (that is last year's money and will rise every year) to manage this!

Shakes head.
  • Gazza9999
    Options
    Oh dear no surprise. That is why i have never had a smart meter and never will.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I hope that the NAO is taking note of this for their ongoing cost review. The level of mismanagement shown, and poor decision-making demonstrated, by the various bodies involved in this project will become a model for future MBA students to study and analyse for years to come.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Government backed shambles at our expense.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    I wish I believed in a parallel (and very, very far away) universe where these overpaid idiots have to pay for their own screw ups instead of always being bailed out by those who can least afford and certainly never asked for it.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Options
    Only 80 ? are MSE trolling ? , but then over 60% at least never switch suppliers and never will.
    That makes it more like nearly 5 million have working smart meters doing a great job saving the suppliers money, and many BG happy customers have had these meters working smart for 10 years.
    British Gas who started fitting them many years before they needed to, jumped the gun on the slovenly foreign suppliers who only moved when they were forced to by OFGEM
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only 80 ? are MSE trolling ? , but then over 60% at least never switch suppliers and never will.
    That makes it more like nearly 5 million have working smart meters doing a great job saving the suppliers money, and many BG happy customers have had these meters working smart for 10 years.
    British Gas who started fitting them many years before they needed to, jumped the gun on the slovenly foreign suppliers who only moved when they were forced to by OFGEM

Not all that happy BG customers if I'm not unique. My problem is that I moved into a property already served by BG prepayment smart meters which were remotely switched to credit mode when I switched supplier to Scottish Power. According to BG when we switch they set the meter to credit mode and then the new supplier will fir their own meter. Oh no they don't! If my understanding is correct once we get a smart meter we don't get another one. So I'm stuck with the British Gas prepayment smart meter which only BG can read and Scottish Power won't give me a new meter and I'm also stuck with submitting manual reads every month. Long time passing until I get a smart meter I think. What a shambles!
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    Submitting manual reads every month is never a bad idea and precludes the need for smart meters, imho.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Submitting manual reads every month is never a bad idea and precludes the need for smart meters, imho.

Indeed, but 99% or people will no do this. Hence the need for smart meters. Over half of which are likely upgradable to smets 2 if you stay with your current supplier long enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure