Fund (my first) S&S ISA now, or wait a few days?

Options
After reading and asking questions on this board over the past several weeks / months, I finally opted to open / fund a S&S ISA using VLS60.

Last night I opened an account with iWeb and currently have 20k sitting there waiting for me to buy!

Given the news I woke up to this morning, should I wait a couple of days or so to see if the prices drop further?

This is my first investment as currently all my cash is in various 'high' interest accounts / cash ISA and really need to reduce my liquid cash amount with is currently £140k as I realise that it's losing value due to inflation etc.

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One of the best investing rules there is.

"It's not about timing the market, its about time in the market."

If you try and time the market, you will lose.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The expected return of waiting a few days is minus a few quid in lost dividends and stockmarket growth.

Invest £19,998 now and use the other £2 to buy a lottery ticket, maybe the market will fall over the next few days but it won't matter if you win the lottery. It's as good a hedge as any other.
  • TheLastMongoose
    Options
    You don't have to invest it all in one go. Why don't you invest some now and keep some back so you wont be annoyed if markets do fall. £5 trading fee is not a lot on £10k.

Personally I'm not convinced that todays news should be taken too seriously. We've had some very rapid growth recently so a minor correction is perhaps overdue.
  • scoot65
    scoot65 Posts: 471 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the replies..... well, I did it! I used the full amount to buy and now my order status is "Active - Your order is currently active and will be executed in line with our Order Handling Policy"

Just waiting for it to be executed now.......
  • The_Reaper
    Options
    scoot65 wrote: »

Last night I opened an account with iWeb and currently have 20k sitting there waiting for me to buy!

Out of interest, why did you choose iWeb?

I hold Vanguard funds in Charles Stanley Direct but I recently heard about the vanguardinvestor website. I was considering moving there is it looked like the fees were lower than any other platform.
  • TARDIS
    TARDIS Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The_Reaper wrote: »

I hold Vanguard funds in Charles Stanley Direct but I recently heard about the vanguardinvestor website. I was considering moving there is it looked like the fees were lower than any other platform.

I'm guessing they chose iWeb due to costs.
    Vanguard platform fee on £20k would be £30 pa.
    iWeb is £25 first year then nothing other than £5 each purchase/sale so cheaper if you don't plan to buy/sell often
  • ossie48
    ossie48 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    scoot65 wrote: »
    After reading and asking questions on this board over the past several weeks / months, I finally opted to open / fund a S&S ISA using VLS60.

Given the news I woke up to this morning, should I wait a couple of days or so to see if the prices drop further?

This is my first investment as currently all my cash is in various 'high' interest accounts / cash ISA and really need to reduce my liquid cash amount with is currently £140k as I realise that it's losing value due to inflation etc.

Almost an identical scenario, similar amount scattered over current accounts and even premium bonds. Made the move last week with a VLS60 S&S ISA and am £485 down. When I pushed that button no one on here had a clue what would happen .

Obviously I'm in it for the long term so water off a ducks back but welcome to the world of Investment I guess :)

It was actually more important for me to make the move than not make it at all.
  • scoot65
    Options
    TARDIS wrote: »
    I'm guessing they chose iWeb due to costs.
    Vanguard platform fee on £20k would be £30 pa.
    iWeb is £25 first year then nothing other than £5 each purchase/sale so cheaper if you don't plan to buy/sell often

The Reaper>> TARDIS is correct. I'd read on this forum that iWeb are good regarding costs and if an individual does not make many trades in a year. Also iWeb is part of Halifax share trading.
  • scoot65
    Options
    ossie48 wrote: »
    Almost an identical scenario, similar amount scattered over current accounts and even premium bonds. Made the move last week with a VLS60 S&S ISA and am £485 down. When I pushed that button no one on here had a clue what would happen .

Obviously I'm in it for the long term so water off a ducks back but welcome to the world of Investment I guess :)

It was actually more important for me to make the move than not make it at all.

I'd procrastinated for far too long and decided I had to do something soon.

I actually opened the account with iWeb yesterday evening and was not aware of the current correction. Like you I'm in it for the long haul and needed to make the jump into investments
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    The_Reaper wrote: »

Vanguard Investor will charge you 0.15% compared to Charles Stanley at 0.25%, so it may well be worth switching to Vanguard (although keep in mind that Charles Stanley will charge you a £10 exit fee on each fund, so that could get quite expensive, depending on what's in your portfolio). The value of your portfolio is one factor to consider as is how often you trade, but if you are a regular investor with less than c.£40,000 invested then you would probably be best off moving to Vanguard.

iWeb are worth considering as your investment gets a bit bigger, but keep in mind that a monthly investment will cost £60 per year in trading fees (plus an initial £25 joining fee), so you need to work out what your costs will be on both.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure