🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

withholding entitlements

Options
can someone please help me. This problem has been going on since last year and i am reaching the end of my tether if not near bankrupcy. I am a single mother of 4 boys 3 of them under 3. I work, self- employed and recently i have put in my information in the entitled to web site and also on Torbay Council's website and have found that I am entitled to £150pw housing benefit and on entltitled to.com's site £15.98 pw council tax benefit and on torbay council's site £25.00 pw council tax benefit. For the last two years I have recieved no council tax benefit at all. Even though the other day whilst going through my records I found I had a letter stating that I was entitled to £10.58 pw council tax benefit that I have never recieved. Subsequently whilst checking my records, I have found letters stating that I am entitled to £123.00 pw housing benefit whilst cheques that they have sent me have been nowhere near this amount. Some of the cheques varied the last one was for £106.00 for two weeks then they took £40.00 for some overpayment that I now have found out that I did not owe. Some of the cheques have been so low that I have ended up with £14.00 for two weeks housing benefit.

Due to this outrageous act I have had to take money from my credit cards ( which I am aware is a complete no no) just to cover my rent. Even earlier this week they dragged me into their offices with the outrgeous claim that my claim for benefit maybe fraudulant and was interviewed under caution with the pathetic excuse that my childmider was not registered. I have a copy of the certificates to proove this. Subsequently, how can my benefit claim be fraudulant when I'm not even getting the right amount? Since then, without a word or letter my housing benefit seems to have been suspended and I have not had a penny from them for 3 weeks.

What I find completely disgusting is they pay out billions of pounds weekly to people who have school aged children and are not working and to those who have no children at all and are still not working, yet they seem to see fit to penalise me in some way when I am paying a large portion of my rent and the majority of my council tax with only 25% single person's discount.

This week I have also been in to complain showing them all the information that I have collated from benefit notifications that they have sent me in the past, lucky I kept them, and there are vast and constant mistakes. With the information that I have gone over, taking me at least two days, It is becoming quite obvious that Torbay Council is deliberately witholding benefits that I am legally entitled to. What can I do about this horrendous scandal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport