Correction in progress!

Options

Comments

• Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    2010 wrote: »
    Why didn`t people sell at 7700, because they never seen a correction coming. (you never do).
    Even with the benefit of hindsight, there wasn't really anything to see was there?
    The reason for the fall (the threat of withdwawing QE) was well known and has been predicted for about 9 years ever since they introduced 'Emergency' 0.5% interest rates. Someone, somewhere, started taking the threat more seriously and started a panic. :eek:
    But it still might never happen.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • chrisgg
    Options
    If/when the support level goes at 7000, then the tend could be downwards for some time.

Why didn`t people sell at 7700, because they never seen a correction coming. (you never do)

You can never see a correction coming, yet you have essentially predicted an extended one...

Why aren`t they selling at 7093, because they are in it for the long term and anyway "it`ll bounce back".

Well in Dec 1999 the Ftse 100 hit 7000 and then fell and it then took around sixteen years to hit 7000 again.

Some people haven`t got time to be in it for the long term.

Which is why you shouldn't invest above your risk profile/at all with a time horizon of less than 5 years.

On another note, quoting FTSE returns without accounting for dividends is very misleading.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well in Dec 1999 the Ftse 100 hit 7000 and then fell and it then took around sixteen years to hit 7000 again.

You're forgetting the dividends which are a large part of the total return
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    The main problem in times like these is that you MAY have been investing in the long term...but time waits for no man and now what was your long term, is now your short term, as you need the money sooner.

I was 60 in January, and I've been thinking (for a while) that I am approaching the time when I should be starting to reduce my risk, and with that in mind I have probably just about got enough in equities now (apart from topping up my SIPP and ISA). So I will probably not be in a position to take advantage of lower prices after a correction any more.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    Options
    I was 60 in January, and I've been thinking (for a while) that I am approaching the time when I should be starting to reduce my risk, and with that in mind I have probably just about got enough in equities now (apart from topping up my SIPP and ISA). So I will probably not be in a position to take advantage of lower prices after a correction any more.

I still have roughly 30% in cash. I’m 34, do you think I should just invest the lot in stocks? Minus the emergency cash.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2018 at 12:57PM
    Options
    economic wrote: »
    I still have roughly 30% in cash. I!!!8217;m 34, do you think I should just invest the lot in stocks? Minus the emergency cash.

It is very subjective, if it was me, at your age, and I had no specific or outline plans for that 30% cash, I would probably reduce it to about 10%, and invest the remaining 20%, but there is no right and wrong answer, it all depends how you feel about it.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • A_T
    A_T Posts: 959 Forumite
    Options
    One would expect Chuck Norris to be 100% equities :D
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Over that particularly bad time period however, even with the two crashes you would be up about 50% by simply investing in the FTSE 100 - which no one in their right mind should do exclusively.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    chrisgg wrote: »
    Which is why you shouldn't invest ... at all with a time horizon of less than 5 years.
    But that means you should divest five years before your target date, so T-5years becomes your new target date, which you should divest five years before. Et cetera.
    Simplifying: you shouldn't invest at all.

Really, it depends what happens when you reach your time horizon.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    k6chris wrote: »
    So not sure the current levels make a good buying opportunity based on this view of the world? Maybe a correction of 30-40% would make valuations look interesting for the long term?? I still think that with people seeing a 5-10% pull back as a buying opportunity is a sign that we still have a lot of market complacency? But, yes, if was that easy we would all be millionaires!!

The problem is you can't just wait until markets correct themselves to match your view of the world. If you sit there waiting for this dip to hit at least a 30% drop before you start buying then you might miss the opportunity because it only ever drops 29.5%.

As we don't really know the depth of this drop it makes sense to start taking advantage of it gradually so that we can be certain of acquiring at least some units at an advantageous price.

Alex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport