Post Office Saver DD cancelled reason unknown

Options
Just seen that my wife's DD from TSB didn't get taken in January. Mine did as have all the DDs for our other P.O. Saver a/cs. Annoying as she'll not get the £5 TSB reward for January.

Looking at her TSB a/c shows the P.O. DD mandate missing.

In her P.O. a/c the regular deposit shows "Mandate Cancelled" against the monthly collection from TSB. The linked a/c is still showing the correct TSB a/c but the Saver will not be fully operational without a mandate. I thought it was a condition of the P.O. Saver that you had to have a DD mandate for your linked a/c.

Oh well, cue another long telephone call!

Comments

• clivep
    clivep Posts: 577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    30 minute phone call and P.O. claim they didn't cancel it and I should talk to TSB.

They have cleared the linked a/c details for this savings a/c so that on Monday I will be able to set up the TSB linked a/c details again which will trigger a new DD mandate being set up. I'll then be able to set up the regular deposit.

At the moment the online banking screen now shows no linked a/c details for any of her 5 savings a/cs. I'm promised that he only cleared the details on 1 a/c and the others will be showing again on Monday... we'll see.

I called TSB and they confirmed the DD was cancelled on 10/1/2018 by the originator so it was down to the P.O. after all.

Coincidently (or not) I opened a new joint P.O. Saver a/c by phone on 10/1/2018. During the application I said to open the a/c with £1 from the a/c that subsequently lost the DD. She asked if I wanted to close the older a/c to which I replied no as that would defeat the object of opening the new one.

I'm thinking that she did something that cancelled the mandate on the old a/c. I can't see how I can do this online as I can change the linked a/c which would set up a new mandate but I can't just get rid of a mandate from the P.O. end.
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    clivep wrote: »
    I'm thinking that she did something that cancelled the mandate on the old a/c. I can't see how I can do this online as I can change the linked a/c which would set up a new mandate but I can't just get rid of a mandate from the P.O. end.

I can reassure you that your wife is blameless in all this as the same has happened to me. My DD to PO didn't go out today, and it appears from my online banking that the DD mandate has been cancelled as the only DD mandate for the PO listed on my current account is for the new PO account I opened last month.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • clivep
    edited 6 February 2018 at 12:31PM
    Options
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    I can reassure you that your wife is blameless in all this as the same has happened to me. My DD to PO didn't go out today, and it appears from my online banking that the DD mandate has been cancelled as the only DD mandate for the PO listed on my current account is for the new PO account I opened last month.

Indeed. By 'she' I meant the advisor not my wife.

We're still unable to set up the DD. Under linked accounts it's not showing the problematic Online Saver and the other 4 now no longer say they're Online Savers but something else & without the P.O. a/c no. showing.

Meanwhile a joint a/c that we applied for on 2nd January but never showed up online (only documentation received was confirmation of a DD mandate that didn't actually get set up) finally appeared with todays date. Also showing the initial deposit of £1 from the problematic Online Saver being transferred today.

Regular deposits for her other Online Savers (2 x sole + 2 x joint) are still showing as active online in her P.O. a/c. However, looking into the current a/cs ahows that all 4 DDs have now been cancelled!!! The COOP one was taken yesterday so obviously the DDs have only just been cancelled. I imagine they'll show up as 'mandate cancelled' on the P.O. a/cs tomorrow.

In the interim it's back to a Tesco DD for the COOP, BOS & TSB accounts to make sure of meeting February's requirements.
  • clivep
    Options
    Regular deposits for her other Online Savers (2 x sole + 2 x joint) were still showing as active online in her P.O. a/c yesterday despite having had their DDs cancelled.

Another long phone call. Linked account details were set up again for all her Online Savers and the old instructions removed.

The linked account details then looked correct but what had been done was not going to raise new DD mandates. I asked how to create these and was instucted to make small one-off deposits from the linked accounts and I would be asked to set up new DD mandates.

I tried this yesterday and today but got errors saying this couldn't be done and that I needed to contact customer support. I think this was because the DD mandates were not in place and this method does not work to create new DD mandates.

I've given up trying to get their staff to sort this out as they don't seem to know what they're doing and only make the situation worse.

I decided to try and resolve this myself and amended the nominated a/c for one of the Online Savers to be exactly the same as it already was. This appeared to achieve the desired result of a new mandate getting set up. I could then successfully request a one-off deposit from linked a/c which it has scheduled for 19th February... so no error and the deposit date in line with that expected for a new DD mandate.

I therefore did the same for her other Online Savers and hopefully will have everything back in place.
  • clivep
    Options
    Just when I thought all was sorted...

On Thursday we received 2 letters from them.

1. Letter to my wife giving Nominated Account details. No Online Saver a/c no. shown but must relate to the new joint a/c that had not shown for a month. Identical letter to the one I had received exactly a month earlier but one digit in the linked current a/c no. was incorrect. This was the same error that I picked up on when we were setting the linked a/c details up again over the phone the day before. This cannot have been properly vailidated by them.

2. Letter to my wife and myself about here sole a/c (that had the TSB mandate cancelled and the £1 transfer to the problematic joint a/c taken a month late). It said they were sorry to hear we had decided to cancel this a/c!

Another long phone call and this time I asked for a supervisor. He confirmed that they were unable to set up the mandates with the nominated a/c and that it was something that I had to do in exactly the way I had done rather than how they had told me.

Letter 1 was now irrelevant as we had already replaced the linked a/c details with the correct ones. No explanation as to how they may have got 1 of the digits wrong.

Letter 2 he said was sent in error and the account was not being closed... we'll have to wait and see.

He said that all the mandates should now be getting set up correctly (following my actions on this) and the one-off and regular deposits will now be correctly taken... I'll obviously be keeping a close eye on this.

In retrospect, it looks as if the problems arose from the completion of the new joint a/c over the phone. The instruction to take £1 from an existing a/c without closing said a/c seems to have screwed this up resulting in the DD mandate being cancelled and a letter saying the a/c was closed without actually closing the a/c. Adding to this, the new joint a/c being in limbo as incorrect DD details were on my wife's account despite those on mine being correct.

The problems then got compounded by the incompetence of their staff.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    clivep wrote: »
    I called TSB and they confirmed the DD was cancelled on 10/1/2018 by the originator so it was down to the P.O. after all.

i'd have guessed that. they're a shocking bunch:shocked:.
  • clivep
    Options
    Almost there...

The DDs are all back in place at the respective banks and £1 deposits have been taken today OK.

However, although the one-off deposit from the COOP went through, the regular deposit is now showing as mandate cancelled. Thinking about this I realise that this is probably because it's still holding the old mandate reference number for this regular deposit.

When the PO cancelled all the DD mandates for the linked a/cs at the banks, they never cancelled them at their end. Consequently the correct linked a/c details were still showing at the PO end along with regular deposit instructions.

Setting up new DD mandates never changed the mandate reference number for existing regular deposit instructions.

I've now cancelled all the regular deposit instructions for the affected online saver a/cs and set them up again so that they use the new mandate reference numbers.

Hopefully the problems are at an end!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport