Options
2»

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cackle wrote: »
    I, too, was scammed by someone I got from Rated People. Actually, this happened twice. I keep hearing horror stories about builders, and consumer programmes on TV tell more of them. Some people's lives are ruined because of the amount of money they have been conned out of, and others, like me, suffer mental health problems (depression and stress). Is it not time (in fact, long overdue) for the government to introduce a compulsory licensing scheme for workmen? Could someone start a campaign, or a petition to the government, in this respect? I'm afraid that I can't do it due to my depression, but I would certainly support any such movement.

A licensing scheme sounds good in theory, but many people would not be prepared to pay the inevitable increase in the cost of any work done. Who is going to pay for this scheme, who is going to police it? At the end of the day we'll all pay much more for any work.

The majority of those who can afford the added costs will be happy to pay them as all genuine tradesmen will doubtless have to be insured, pay for registration, then there'll be spot-checks by inspectors who have to be paid for - all at the cost to the taxpayer.

I can see a rise in the dodgy end of the market - it won't be the people who need to be protected from the scammers who would benefit, because they will still need to get a job done cheaply, and still be at the mercy of these cowboys.
  • MysticDad
    MysticDad Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buy With Confidence is good because if there is a dispute then Trading Standards will mediate. The only problem with the scheme is that the website is poor and the traders on it are often very busy.

Checkatrade asks for proof of ID/address etc and partners with some Trading Standards services to do extra background checks. This means there are few outright criminals on the scheme. However, if there is a dispute then Trading Standards will not mediate.

Which? Age UK etc carry out some very basic checks, but they are not very effective.

Pretty much every other scheme (mybuilder, Rated People, TrustaTrader etc) are no more reliable than picking an advert out of the Yellow Pages or a leaflet that comes through your door.

If you are considering any trader then you should always make sure you can verify their identity and address, make sure they give you the correct paperwork in advance, and check to see they have a verifiable trading history.

I'd also advise to always check that you can pay by Credit Card, that way you are covered by S.75 if anything goes wrong.
  • snurbi
    snurbi Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all - thought I might share my exp and exerience of using every 'review' site available in the UK after I was scammed by a roofer last year. The trader was widely listed at the time on various trader review sites such as Trustatrader, MyBuilder, Bark, Feefo. As it turned out many of the 5 start reviews were fakes and posted by of friends/family etc, a common practice by dishonest traders.
    Of far more concern is the action (or lack of) after I posted negative reviews against the trader after he ripped me of by £10000 and I obtained a CCJ. My experience was as follows.
    Trustatrader - instigated a dispute process that achieved nothing but when I provided prove of the dodgy trader they removed him.
    MyBuilder - because I had not hired the trader through them (no commission for them) I could not post negative reviews. Despite sending proof this trader was dishonest and broke the law in his advertising MyBuilder will take no action. DO NOT CONSIDER USING MYBUILDER.COM IF YOU WANT TO FIND AN HONEST TRADER.
    Bark.com - these will allow consumers to post negative reviews against dodgy traders, but the trader has a veto and can 'report' feedback they do not like. Bark then contacts the reviewer and asks for evidence that you have used the trader. Bark did eventually remove the trader after I sent them proof of dishonest advertising.
    Feefo - very difficult to post feedback unless you have booked the trader through them and take similar approach as MyBuilder.com.
    My tips for those who experience dodgy trader is use Google maps to find the trader. If they are not on Google you can add them to a known trading location which you can get from Companies House or advertising. MANY DODGY TRADERS ARE VERY COY ABOUT THEIR ACTUAL TRADING ADDRESS SO SOME RESEARCH MAY BE REQUIRED.
    Once you have located (or added) the trader on Google Maps you can leave feedback with pictures (very useful to show dodgy work done).
    Major benefit of Google is very wide publicity and virtually impossible for trader to object or influence them.
    Yelp also provide a feedback system to try.
    Finally my best tip is post your feedback on Trustpilot. They have no business relationship with the trader and will always post your feedback.
    Also use Reviews.co.uk to post on, but they are fiddly to use and appear to use comment left for a trader to try to 'sell' that trader one of their review/feedback packages.
    Many site will allow you to add the trader details if they are not listed so GET POSTING and lets drive cowboy traders off the net.
  • sam1970
    sam1970 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you very much for the helpful advice. I have just completed a house renovation 12 months ago costing over 120K and Iam still sorting out the problems the cowboy contractor left me, at my own cost. I needed to leave my feedback on his work, with photos, but my builder would not let me do that as I did not hire him through them. I will try your advice.
  • sam1970
    sam1970 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I cant did my builder's address on google maps..he is using an industrial estate address in the company house but I know that he has no premises there. I tried to add him to google maps so I can put review but that needs verification and I do not want to be on dodgy grounds by pretending Iam him..what should I do?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure