We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Ofgem to investigate Ovo Energy

Options
2»

Comments

• JEO
    JEO Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a different concern about OVO recording of my electricity use via its smart meter. I carefully monitor my energy usage online, especially in the weeks when we are away from home.

We were away from home 23 days in August 2018 and during that period according to OVO we were using between 6.1 and 6.5 kwh per day. Fast forward to August 2019, with the same appliances left on (no AC!), we were away for the same length of time and our usage was between 7.5 and 7.7 kwh per day. OK, not much of an increase (22%), which may be explained by climatic conditions.

So, let's take 2 other periods when we were away: 15 days in Oct-Nov 2018 and the same in 2019. In the first period, we used between 4.7 and 5.1 kwh per day but in the second period, with the same appliances left on (and no electric heating), we used between 8.9 and 9.7 kwh per day (89% increase).

I'm not an expert and I am aware that different climatic conditions may affect usage but these variations, particularly August 2018 with August 2019, seem extravagant.

I have comolained to OVO 8 days ago but so far no response, despite a chaser.

Any comments welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family