Allan_C Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 29 September 2018 at 8:12PM in Savings & investments
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would sell them in a tax efficient manner and invest in globally diversified funds within a pension or ISA wrapper. Holding individual shares is risky.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 31 January 2018 at 10:15PM
    Options
    If you have not used your ISA allowance for this year yet I would be gettting £20k shifted to an ISA immediately and do the same again after April 5th.

If you have significant gains in that £200k I would also think about liquidate enough shares to use up this year’s CG allowance.
  • Tcquins
    Tcquins Posts: 65 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2018 at 1:11PM
    Options
    Worth checking your capital gains on the holdings.

You will have an allowance of £11,300 gains you can take in this tax year and £11,700 in the next tax year you can take, to move them into an ISA.

Another consideration is if you have cash ISA holdings, which are poor value at the moment. Is to transfer these to a stocks and shares ISA, thus preserving the tax efficient wrapper status ,and then use the proceeds to purchase the shares which you are selling.

The dividend allowance is dropping to £2000 from £5,000 in the next tax year, so you will pay far more tax in the coming years if you do nothing.

Also bear in mind your dividend tax status. If you are a basic rate tax payer you will only only pay 7.5% on dividends. As a higher rate tax payer it will be 32.5% (as you are close to the threshold you need to take this into account)
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Also look to sell those shares with the highest dividend yield, to get you non ISA dividend down as much as possible. Ie sell those with a 6% yield rather than those with a 3% yield.[/FONT]
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Allan_C wrote: »

Should I start selling them (within the CTG limit) each year and move them into a Stock and Share ISA (it will take a few years) or keep them? Or any other options?

Yes.
    Another option is to put into your pension if you have one that will hold shares. Or open up such a pension, eg a SIPP.

I"m assuming you are happy with these shares and have no wish to move into "safer" options like funds as some of the wussies here advise anyone who ever mentions shares. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure